Re: Need a new Toy?

Stan,

I am asking you questions to see what information your comments/opinions were based on. The 318 Poly engine will respond like any LA engine to traditional HP modifications and "if" a Tunnel Ram worked on an LA then it will work on a Poly...however, you cannot toss a Tunnel Ram onto any "small" engine and have it perform. The compatibility of the proper parts and machining is what makes any engine perform.

I could say that a Max Wedge has too large of ports to produce bottom end or "streetability" but we all know what we must do to compensate and "Maximize" to reach the goal we are aiming at.

You wrote that "if the heads (Poly) are any good someone would be expanding on their design." Check out the modern Mopar 4.7 engine head design and your question is partially answered.

The Polyshperical combustion chamber provides superior BMEP over the Wedge head and is just below the BMEP for a HEMI; "... the poly engine had one absolutely unique feature: its volumetric efficiency. If the Mopar figures as found in the Plymouth factory manual are to be believed, torque of the poly 318 was 345 lb.ft. Now, take torque and divide it by cubes, then multiply this by 151, and you get brake mean effective pressure (bmep). Try it for your self: bmep for the poly 318 is 164 psi. (Again, that's the figure Plymouth give). That is near to the theoretical limit for an unsupercharged engine (and that's with the old log-type exhaust manifolds too) and is very close to the 426 hemi's bmep of 173psi, which had all those performance-designed components. The bmep figure purely reflects breathing efficiency (proportional use of the charge coming into the engine), and is a product of the head, as opposed to the block, which just needs to suck/blow as rapidly as possible without flying into little pieces..."

The Poly head does not stall, unlike other head designs. A bone-stock/unported Poly head will continue to increase in cfm flow well past the realistic/usable lift of .700." However, we easily made our HP & Torque goals with a modest amount of flow and less dollar input. Our last Poly build made a peak of 412HP & 438Torque but in reality the Poly engine has such a high & flat HP & Torque curve that in quoting "peak" numbers associated with LA powerplants and Big Blocks is misleading; it has far more average HP and torque.
For example;
a modest 208cfm @.500" lift on the intake side
9.5 compression
1.94/1.60" valves
small 232@.050" dur. and 292/.482" 110LC Hyd Poly Cam
cast iron 1957 dual quad w/500cfm Edelbrocks
Homemade headers...
Goal reached for the street:
From 3400-5400RPM (2000rpm spread) we AVERAGED 428ft.lbs.
  "     3600-5600RMP (  "       "         "   )   "   AVERAGED 375HP
Not bad for a throw-away motor. Core charge is "free." We will leave your non-streetable super stock max wedge engines on the track where they shine best.

The Poly 318 doesn't have to stay "small" with the advent of aftermarket Stroker cranks, although some people prefer the 318 or 360 Poly to the 390, 402, or larger Stroker.

It is hard to beat the low cost outlay of "building" the indigenous powerplant in the 62-65 Mopars; again, no fabbing or modificaton needed to swap enigne/trans or beef-up the suspension or other necessary fixes when transplanting a Big Block or such into the chassis. No cost of buying the 440 or HEMI core engine and trans...

Of course it depends on your goals for the car/engine but I wanted to address some of your comments/opinions as I do not believe you had the information or facts to proffer an informed comment or opinion.

Gary Pavlovich

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stan Kafouse" <skafouse@xxxxxxxxx>