WP Chrysler Museum Closing

It is with some sadness that I read that the Walter P. Chrysler Museum on the Chrysler campus in Auburn Hills will be closing to the public at the end of the year. Apparently admission fees and facility rentals were not sufficient to sustain continued operations.  Just drove up to Auburn Hills, MI from Saint Louis, MO to take in the museum this weekend, and I am glad I did. It will be missed! An FYI for list members the gift shop is selling everything 50% off lowest price, not a lot left, but worth a call or visit.

The museum opened in 1999 and about 35,000 people visited the facility in 2011. Chrysler Group LLC, which already owns the museum’s building, will be purchasing the 67 vehicles in the museum’s collection in order to, as Bryce Hoffman of the DetNews put it, “protect the company’s patrimony.” The museum’s diverse collection reflects the many companies and brands in Chrysler history. Chrysler will continue to use the facility for corporate events and make it available for charities and special events so it appears that the facility will continue to be maintained as a museum, albeit a private one, similar to GM’s Heritage Center.  I just hope they are not going to liquidate the collection like the GM collection is.  You see them all the time on Mecum Auto Auction.

PS - Stopped into American Jewelry & Loan were the show Hard Core Pawn is shot...........a learning experience!

--
--
--