The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

318 Poly. No oil pressure!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

Dan_in_MN
Posted 2023-07-01 10:38 PM (#630535)
Subject: 318 Poly. No oil pressure!

Never thought I'd be making a post about my engine and not having any oil pressure! But here I am!

My 1958 Plymouth Suburban. Around 20,000 miles on a rebuild. Went to leave from a show. Backed out and noticed my oil light on and gauge sitting at zero! No noise on the top end. Pulled back in and got a tow!
Pulled the fittings for the oil light and gauge. Not plugged! Turned the engine over without the ignition switch on. I believe I ran it long enough for oil pressure to be built. No oil came out of the hole in the block.
What could break? The distributor still turns so it's not the gear to the cam. From the research I've done, it looks like the pump is driven with a hex on the shaft from the cam. Has anyone seen this break?
All of the above is shown in my video. --> https://youtu.be/NcuFpTFzawc
Any thoughts are welcome! If you want to follow along, consider subscribing to my channel.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Powerflite
Posted 2023-07-01 11:43 PM (#630536 - in reply to #630535)
Subject: Re: 318 Poly. No oil pressure!

Expert 5K+

Did you install the oil filter bypass plug under the main cap? If not, You could have a blockage at the oil filter that is bypassing the gauge line. I'm not sure if the gauge line comes from after the filter or before it, so I'm not certain this would prevent the gauge from reading. Another possibility is that the plug is installed incorrectly, causing a blockage. The fix would consist of removing the rear main cap to access it.

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=72313
geoffs60
Posted 2023-07-02 2:01 AM (#630540 - in reply to #630535)
Subject: RE: 318 Poly. No oil pressure!

Veteran

I have seen the spade drive brake off the oil pump for no real good reason, then no oil pressure.
Geoff
Dan_in_MN
Posted 2023-07-02 6:07 PM (#630569 - in reply to #630536)

No oil filter conversation.
Thank you for your reply!
PolyJ
Posted 2023-07-07 4:40 PM (#630657 - in reply to #630536)

Veteran

Did you notice any changes in oil pressure before the issue happened, such as the gauge needle bouncing around or twitching?

The pump draws oil from the pan and sends it immediately to the filter. Out of the filter, it travels up a vertical gallery to the right lifter gallery where it spreads throughout the engine. The oil-pressure port near the distributor is at the top of that vertical gallery. If the cannister or spin-on filter clogs, unfiltered oil will bypass the filter and continue supplying the engine with unfiltered oil, so a clogged filter typically won't result in no oil pressure.

If the issue happened out of nowhere and the oil gauge was steady before, I'd examine the oil pump pickup for a clog, the oil pump's male tang to see if it sheared off, and the oil pump drive shaft to see if it failed. There's also a chance the pump itself failed internally from wear, but you will usually see the gauge bouncing for some time prior to the complete failure in cases caused by gradual wear. Note that the a 1958 A318 takes a Melling M51 pump and matching slotted drive shaft and will not accept the Melling M72 and its hex drive shaft.

If it were my car, I'd remove the pump and rear main cap to verify if the engine has the problematic block bypass valve. If it does, the valve has likely deteriorated to where the spring and check ball are missing and the engine's oil has been constantly bypassing the filter. It's a common problem on 1956 - 1961 A-blocks (and Gen I Hemi and Hemi-block polys). The valve wouldn't cause a lack of oil pressure unless it were stuck shut, which I've never seen and would expect the canister filter gasket to blow immediately. While I was in there, I'd remove that block bypass valve and plug the passage, inspect the #5 crank journal and bearing for damage from no oil pressure, and disassemble the oil pump to measure the components for wear and to inspect the pressure spring. The Melling M51 pump is still available new but very expensive compared to the M72.

I have a tech article discussing the oil bypass valve and methods to remove and block it with more details and schematics of the oiling system.

Mopar1
Posted 2023-07-13 9:55 AM (#630744 - in reply to #630657)

Expert

Have you checked to see if the guage/sending unit is good?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)