The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1956 Dodge Seafoam Green and Jade Green Metallic Paint Codes Needed
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

PolyJ
Posted 2023-08-06 5:19 PM (#631201)
Subject: 1956 Dodge Seafoam Green and Jade Green Metallic Paint Codes Needed

Veteran

I'll be taking my 1956 Dodge coupe down to bare metal and starting the bodywork at some point, and I'm trying to plan ahead for the paint. I'm maintaining the original two-tone, which is code 165 (translated to 565) 41850 "Seafoam Green" for the roof, lower, and taillights, 41793 "Jade Green Poly" metallic for the saddle, and what I presume is the same Jade Green only flat solid for parts of the interior. I'll be using PPG base coat clear coat enamel, which doesn't matter for the paint code or recipe.

Does anyone have either a modern paint code or the paint recipe for the Seafoam Green and Jade Green metallic? If not, does anyone have a modern paint code/recipe for a different make/model that is close?

I can take one of the doors to the PPG paint supply store and have them scan it to get the Jade Green metallic recipe, but someone painted over the Seafoam Green to where I can't find a good original sample for PPG to shoot with the scanner. I might be able to hit the second coat with a propane torch enough to ubble and peel it off to get to the original Seafoam. PPG will be able to cross-reference with modern paint codes for other manufacturers including DuPont and even foreign producers such as Germany's Spies Hecker (a wonderful paint I've shot before).

From Dave's (56D500boy) thread discussing paint codes, I checked both PaintRef http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?year=1956&con=... and TCP Global https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/ but find no modern cross-reference. I'd have to purchase TCP's line of paint, which I won't use since I have never heard of them and don't have experience with the paint quality and durability. I might call them and see if they'd sell me the recipes, which I doubt they'll do.

Here is the paint chip page courtesy of Dave's thread, and I quickly photoshopped a 1956 with originally with a white roof to demonstrate my paint scheme. I appreciate any help.

Edited by PolyJ 2023-08-06 5:21 PM

(56DodgePaintChips_1_small.jpg)

(56DodgeCRL2drHdTpGreenOnGreenSideView.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 56DodgePaintChips_1_small.jpg (202KB - 47 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeCRL2drHdTpGreenOnGreenSideView.jpg (210KB - 49 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
56D500boy
Posted 2023-08-06 6:35 PM (#631203 - in reply to #631201)
Subject: RE: 1956 Dodge Seafoam Green and Jade Green Metallic Paint Codes Needed

Expert 5K+

165 is the correct designation for a 1956 Dodge two-tone with a Jade Green metallic upper (roof, rear fender tops, trunk and hood) and Sea Foam Green (solid, non-metallic) lower (fender and door sides, outer bit of the hood (below the stainless bar)). (Your photo shop is incorrect, the roof should be Jade Green for 165)

Try TCP Global because I don't think anyone else has a modern code for those paints. Once you can get things scanned, there might be something modern and is close. When the auto body supplier scanned my Wedgewood Blue (solid, non-metallic lower), it crossed to a Mac truck that was close.

Good luck.

Edited by 56D500boy 2023-08-06 6:38 PM
mstrug
Posted 2023-08-06 8:53 PM (#631204 - in reply to #631201)
Subject: Re: 1956 Dodge Seafoam Green and Jade Green Metallic Paint Codes Needed

Expert 5K+

Maybe: : https://www.paintscratch.com/touch_up_paint/Dodge/1956-Dodge-All-Oth...

Jade Green Poly 518 (1956) Touch Up Paint for 1956 Dodge All Other Models

Home Vehicles Dodge 1956 All Other Models 1956 All Other Models Touch Up Paint Jade Green Poly 518 (1956)

Jade Green Poly touch up paint for 1956 Dodge All Other Models
Approximate color of Jade Green Poly touch up paint.

Order spray cans, paint pens, brush cap bottles or larger sizes of Jade Green Poly touch up paint.

PaintScratch custom mixes each paint order to match the original factory color of your vehicle. Because your Dodge All Other Models is 20+ years old, the paint may have faded, and we cannot guarantee a color match for Jade Green Poly 518 (1956). There are no refunds on paint ordered for vehicles manufactured before 1996 and we recommend you send us a part for custom matching . We will not remix this paint even if the color does not match
PolyJ
Posted 2023-08-07 3:46 PM (#631217 - in reply to #631203)
Subject: RE: 1956 Dodge Seafoam Green and Jade Green Metallic Paint Codes Needed

Veteran

56D500boy - 2023-08-06 4:35 PM . 165 is the correct designation for a 1956 Dodge two-tone with a Jade Green metallic upper (roof, rear fender tops, trunk and hood) and Sea Foam Green (solid, non-metallic) lower (fender and door sides, outer bit of the hood (below the stainless bar)). (Your photo shop is incorrect, the roof should be Jade Green for 165) Try TCP Global because I don't think anyone else has a modern code for those paints. Once you can get things scanned, there might be something modern and is close. When the auto body supplier scanned my Wedgewood Blue (solid, non-metallic lower), it crossed to a Mac truck that was close. Good luck. :)

I had a good laugh with your response. I should probably have checked the car first. I've had a few fiberglass welding blankets draped over the roof for about a year now to protect the windows as I welded on the front and rear of the chassis, and I've been considering different paint schemes over that period of time to where I forgot the car's color. After reading your post, I went out and tossed the blanket aside to find Jade, lol. It's indeed the 165 with Jade metallic roof and saddle with Seafoam lower and taillights. I like the tri-color with the white roof, but the whole roof/saddle being Jade is quite striking and makes the car look streamlined.

PPG's scanner is pretty slick and will decode the actual recipe down to grams of each pigment and metallic additive in their paint system, so, thankfully, it doesn't need a modern manufacturer match. Shooting test cards will be the deciding proof. For the flat interior, I'll have them mix a quart of base in Jade Green solid and will then use ample flattening agent in the clear, which is similar to what I do for semi-gloss/suede paint jobs. It would be easy if the factory shot the Seafoam onto the interior of the doors since I could pull a door before blasting it to get both color recipes, but the entire interior jam and panels are the original Jade metallic. The saving grace will likely be the dashboard since the lower portion is the original Seafoam, although flat and somewhat oxidized/faded. If someone doesn't have modern cross-references or recipes, I'll take a door and probably the shifter housing to have them scanned. It should get me close enough. I'll be sure and add the recipes to your 1956 Dodge color thread for posterity.

PolyJ
Posted 2023-08-07 3:55 PM (#631218 - in reply to #631204)
Subject: Re: 1956 Dodge Seafoam Green and Jade Green Metallic Paint Codes Needed

Veteran

mstrug - 2023-08-06 6:53 PM Maybe: : https://www.paintscratch.com/touch_up_paint/Dodge/1956-Dodge-All-Oth... Jade Green Poly 518 (1956) Touch Up Paint for 1956 Dodge All Other Models Home Vehicles Dodge 1956 All Other Models 1956 All Other Models Touch Up Paint Jade Green Poly 518 (1956) Jade Green Poly touch up paint for 1956 Dodge All Other Models Approximate color of Jade Green Poly touch up paint. Order spray cans, paint pens, brush cap bottles or larger sizes of Jade Green Poly touch up paint. PaintScratch custom mixes each paint order to match the original factory color of your vehicle. Because your Dodge All Other Models is 20+ years old, the paint may have faded, and we cannot guarantee a color match for Jade Green Poly 518 (1956). There are no refunds on paint ordered for vehicles manufactured before 1996 and we recommend you send us a part for custom matching . We will not remix this paint even if the color does not match

Thanks. I don't see any PPG or DuPont options on PaintScratch's website, so they appear to make an off-brand single-stage paint.

56D500boy
Posted 2023-08-07 6:48 PM (#631220 - in reply to #631218)

Expert 5K+

The sea foam roof in your photo shop looked good. They just didn't do anything like that, except, perhaps as a Code 99 Special Order paint job.

Be aware that the shifter housing and indeed most likely the entire dash was assembled as a sub-unit and then installed in the car as a complete unit.

Removing the shifter housing without removing the dash is a nightmare.

NIGHTMARE REFERENCE: http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=70969&...

Edited by 56D500boy 2023-08-07 6:51 PM

(56DodgeDash_PowerFlite_ShowingHeaterControlToLeftOfSteeringWheelAndHeadlightSwitchToRight_small.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 56DodgeDash_PowerFlite_ShowingHeaterControlToLeftOfSteeringWheelAndHeadlightSwitchToRight_small.jpg (148KB - 54 downloads)
PolyJ
Posted 2023-08-07 7:22 PM (#631221 - in reply to #631220)

Veteran

56D500boy - 2023-08-07 4:48 PM . The sea foam roof in your photo shop looked good. They just didn't do anything like that, except, perhaps as a Code 99 Special Order paint job. Be aware that the shifter housing and indeed most likely the entire dash was assembled as a sub-unit and then installed in the car as a complete unit. Removing the shifter housing without removing the dash is a nightmare.

Thanks for the warning. The shifter housing will have to wait then until I'm ready to gut the interior for blasting.

56D500boy
Posted 2023-08-08 1:55 PM (#631229 - in reply to #631220)

Expert 5K+

56D500boy - 2023-08-07 3:48 PM
Be aware that the shifter housing and indeed most likely the entire dash was assembled as a sub-unit and then installed in the car as a complete unit.

Not a 56 Dodge but "proof" (from "Wishes on Wheels") that the dashes ("instrument panels") arrive just in time with in the colour and equipment just as they were ordered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6L0ykX9lPU (starting at around 21:55)

(55PlymouthDashArrivingFullyLoadedOnTheAssemblyLine.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 55PlymouthDashArrivingFullyLoadedOnTheAssemblyLine.jpg (143KB - 52 downloads)
Powerflite
Posted 2023-08-08 2:13 PM (#631230 - in reply to #631201)

Expert 5K+

And notice that the dash was pre-wired. The next scene shows the lady pulling the dash wires through the firewall. Pre-wiring the dash is a great way to assemble these things. Saves a lot of trouble trying to wire it up after it's mounted.
PolyJ
Posted 2023-08-08 9:59 PM (#631232 - in reply to #631201)

Veteran

Someone went above and beyond in sending me the complete PPG formulas for the Jade Green metallic and SeaFoam Green solid. It turns out there is modern cross-reference for the Jade Green metallic but nothing for the Seafoam Green to where it's a custom mix. The sheets he sent me have "PPG Confidential Information" on them, and he made it clear they aren't handed out publicly willy nilly. I suppose that's a PPG corporate policy--probably shared by other major manufacturers--since a paint manufacturer wouldn't want someone to simply take the formulas and purchase the paint from a competitor. Whatever the reasoning, I got what I needed to at least purchase an 8-oz test batch to dab on the original for comparison.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)