The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can't keep my car running
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

A1gio2
Posted 2023-10-18 12:02 PM (#632388)
Subject: Can't keep my car running

Last Sunday I filled my '55 Chrysler New York with 93 octane gas and it ran well as always.

A couple of hours later went for another ride and the car was bogging and hesitating so I drove home.

Tried driving it again Monday and the condition worsened. I was just able to get around the block and home while modulating the throttle to keep it going.

The next day the condition worsened to the point of not being able to keep the car running.

I took the carb filter off and see that gas is full in the bowl and presumably reaching the carb.

I'm planning to tow the car to a mechanic over the weekend, although I would have preferred to drive. Any ideas?

Bad fuel? Clogged carb? Failing fuel pump? Ignition? (The carb has been rebuild in the last few years, points, plugs and dist are new.)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Powerflite
Posted 2023-10-18 1:05 PM (#632390 - in reply to #632388)
Subject: Re: Can't keep my car running

Expert 5K+

It's impossible to diagnose from afar. You have to start doing diagnostics to figure it out. I'm sure any competent mechanic can get it done. But you have listed the usual suspects for such a condition: Ignition points burnt, plug wires not fully connected to spark plugs, plug wires shorting out on wire covers, carb issues, etc. Not likely a fuel pump issue if there is fuel inside your carb. Not likely a vapor lock issue if it happens when the engine is cold & carb has fuel.
56D500boy
Posted 2023-10-18 1:26 PM (#632392 - in reply to #632388)
Subject: RE: Can't keep my car running

Expert 5K+

Disconnect the fuel line at the carb (or glass bowl filter) and direct the fuel pump outlet into a can. Try cranking the engine and see if any fuel comes out of the pipe. That will answer the fuel pump question. (Best if you have a remote starter switch hooked up to the starter solenoid = no spark involved)

If you have an air compressor, you could direct air into the fuel line back to the tank to see if it flows air. There could be a blockage on the pick-up in the tank and the air might blow it off, at least in the short run.

Just some ideas.

57chizler
Posted 2023-10-18 2:26 PM (#632394 - in reply to #632388)
Subject: RE: Can't keep my car running

Expert

Since the problem started right after a fill-up, could be water in the gas or the gas itself. I would temporarily plumb in a container of known good gas to see if the problem goes away.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)