The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1959 Plymouth Windshield Gaskets
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

Gas Giant
Posted 2024-02-18 7:21 PM (#633791)
Subject: 1959 Plymouth Windshield Gaskets

I'm getting closer to the point where I will need to reinstall the window in my Plymouth - it was taken out so the car could be painted. I have what are probably some stupid questions.

Unfortunately, the process of removing the windshield more or less destroyed the gasket that attached to the car (the "body fence", as the service manual calls it), and the gasket that is wrapped around the windshield itself isn't looking too great either. I wish I could blame the previous owner but the idiot windshield remover was me.

I was able to buy an used original windshield gasket, but when I bought it I didn't specify which of the two I wanted (the "body fence" side or the windshield side), so I am not sure which one I have and which one I still need. I've uploaded a few pictures of the one I bought - I'm hoping that someone can identify what I've got with those, so I can try and hunt down the one I need.

Or, in any of your experience, would I be better off at this point going with an aftermarket gasket even though they aren't quite as good?

Any insight you can offer would be appreciated.

(IMG_2750.jpg)

(IMG_2748.jpg)

(IMG_2747.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2750.jpg (191KB - 26 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2748.jpg (173KB - 27 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2747.jpg (214KB - 24 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ronbo97
Posted 2024-02-18 8:01 PM (#633792 - in reply to #633791)
Subject: RE: 1959 Plymouth Windshield Gaskets

Expert

ALL windshield and rear glass gaskets are one piece. The gasket folds/unfolds into itself. You will have to learn how to correctly pry the gasket apart, followed by how to correctly install the glass itself (top--sides--bottom). This has probably been written up on this site many times. So it's best to use the search function to pull up and read all the threads that discuss this.

Also, do not purchase an aftermarket seal, unless you like throwing your money away. They are all junk.

Ron

Gas Giant
Posted 2024-02-19 3:47 PM (#633807 - in reply to #633791)
Subject: Re: 1959 Plymouth Windshield Gaskets

Thanks Ron, I went back and looked more closely at the gasket I have and you are correct. I appreciate the information.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)