The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Introduction: me and my '58
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> Members RidesMessage format

58Windsor
Posted 2006-03-29 12:28 AM (#52975)
Subject: Introduction: me and my '58

Veteran

Hi everyone, just joined up. Looking forward to a lot of good discussions.

Perhaps the best way to introduce myself and my car is to tell you the story of the car, and how it came to be I have it (back).

I just got married a couple of weeks ago (March 11) to an amazing woman.  What she's brought to my life leaves me simply speechless. I have a whole new life ahead of me thanks to her, and a very strong tie to my past as well.

You see, my '58 was a wedding gift from my wife.  It isn't just any '58 however, its the '58 from my childhood.

My parents were married in 1963. Dad had taught my Mom how to drive while they dated. Along with starting their new life together, they bought themselves another car. A 1958 Chrysler Windsor 4-door sedan. It was Mom's main transportation for work, and their 'good' car they used when traveling together. I came along in 1969 and may have come home from the hospital in the car (Mom thinks so, but doesn't remember for sure).

Sometime in the early to mid 70's, the '58 rolled the odometer over to ‘00,000.0’ miles. As it did, Dad pulled over to the side of the road and disconnected the cable. They finished the last mile or two home where he put the car up on blocks. His intention was for that '58 to be a father-son project to teach me about cars. Time together for he and I was fairly limited then as he worked long hours, usually leaving for work long before I got up in the morning and getting home in time for a bite to eat and to get some sleep. In 1979 he was suddenly taken from us by an on the job construction accident. I was 10 years old.

The car continued to sit on blocks until 1984 when Mom and I moved from our little town of 500 people to Bismarck. She wanted to find work and also wanted to provide a life with more opportunities for me than our small hometown could provide. My uncles got the '58 running & driving again. I used it to drive to high school for a few weeks, but being a 25-year old car, it needed work. The brakes were bad, the steering and suspension were ready to drop the front wheels, it started hard, etc. At barely 16 years old, I knew nothing of what to do or how to do it. We took it to a few local shops, but they either couldn't find parts or screwed up the job. The brakes were "fixed" so bad it was nearly undriveable. We knew it wasn’t safe for me to be driving but wanted to hold on to it, so we ended up parking the car back in that little town at my Grandparents house. Grandpa put up a bit of a fuss over it. He didn’t want that old thing junking up his yard (never mind the line of junk heaps my cousin had sitting there…). Under pressure from him, we made the very hard decision to let the car go. My grandfather handled the sale for us, as neither of us had the heart to do it or see it leave. It was almost like losing Dad all over again.

Over the next few years I took shop in high school, learned some from new friends, and self-taught with demo derby cars (what was I out if I screwed it up?) I got to where I could diagnose and fix most things.

I kept in contact with the new owner of the '58 for a while, but he had no interest in ever selling it back. The last time I spoke with him, he had just built a shop to do a restoration of it in. I took some solace in knowing it had a good home, and tried to move on. But I know my friends had to have gotten tired of hearing about the car. I never forgot; I just couldn't let go.

Fast forward to last spring. My girlfriend and I are out & about, just enjoying a day together and got talking about dream cars. I told her the story of the ’58. To be honest, it has nothing to do with the year, make, or model.  It was the sentimental attachment that placed that car at the top of my list.

Fast forward again to this last March 11th. Our wedding was to have been May 6th, but we found out at the end of November that we’re going to become parents come August. We decided to bump up the wedding day so Kim wouldn’t be showing much yet. When we realized March 11th would be a Saturday, we knew that had to be the day. You see, March 11th is also my father’s birthday. I’d been feeling very lonesome for my dad since finding out I’m going to be one too. Any time I let myself think about it, I catch myself crying. I couldn’t imagine a more appropriate tribute to him than starting my new life on his birthday.

The wedding day itself was a huge mix of emotion as you can imagine. Excitement, anxiety, nervousness; the happiness of seeing friends and family, the sadness of missing dad; all mixed with this utter frustration of being locked away in a back room of the church. I wanted to be out & about, having fun, seeing people, etc. Instead, I was kind of confined to the back so I wouldn’t see the bride before the service (or the car hiding outside as it turned out).

The service went off perfectly. My bride, stunning. Still feeling this mix of emotion we exit the church to go to the reception.

I can’t put into words the emotion I felt coming out of the church to see none other than that exact father-son project 1958 Chrysler Windsor sitting at the bottom of the steps of the church.

My wonderful new bride had not just tracked down a close match to the car, she found the exact car and convinced the owner to sell it back to us. It was a little worse for wear from when I last saw it, as it never received the planned restoration. The owner had became more interested in antique tractors and the car sat languishing in the back of a quonset for a number of years. But not having been restored left the car affordable for my wife and much closer to the car I remember from my childhood.  She and I have always believed everything happens for a reason...

And now you know my story and the story of my car.  You know I have a wonderful wife and that I'm a sentimental fool.  And you'll get to know the car pretty well too, as I'm sure I'll be here a lot asking for advice.  My plan is a full 'driving' restoration, as I want to keep it on the road.  I intend to stay stock with the exception of updated brakes.

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you.  See ya again soon.

(58angle_small.jpg)

(58andUs.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 58angle_small.jpg (17KB - 312 downloads)
Attachments 58andUs.jpg (20KB - 321 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
I GOT FINS
Posted 2006-03-29 1:03 AM (#52977 - in reply to #52975)
Subject: RE: Introduction: me and my '58

Elite Veteran

Greg:

Welcome aboard the Forward Look site;

You have a great story and a great car there and I must say a very special bride to do that for you! !
You have a real challenge on your hands with a new wife and a family on the way, not to mention the great looking Chrysler.
You have just joined a great group here at Forward Look there is tons of information to be had here, all you have to do is ask, and you will receive some of the most helpful and unselfish information to be had.

I wish you the luck in your marriage and with your new family on the way! !
and good luck with the restoration of the Windsor! !

J.W. Duhn
desoto_zealot
Posted 2006-03-29 1:24 AM (#52984 - in reply to #52975)

Veteran

Wow, what a cool story!!! You have an awesome wife for doing that. It really says alot when she tracks down and buys the old family car unknown to you in order to make a lifelong father/son project dream come true. Your dad is right there next to you every moment you are working on the Chrysler whether you realize it or not. This story really touches me because my dad also died, just last December. I'm sure your dad is smiling down on you and your new family right now. Best wishes with your baby on the way and the Chrysler and keep us posted!
Bryan1960Windsor
Posted 2006-03-29 10:48 AM (#53014 - in reply to #52975)

Elite Veteran

Hey 58Windsor,

WELCOME to the site! Such a wonderful story you have there, and a great car to match! Great wife too, can't leave her out of this!

I have a fondness for Windsors as well, and the 58 looks to be my next year to acquire.

There's just something to a family car...

Again, welcome.
-Bryan
GaryS
Posted 2006-03-29 1:37 PM (#53027 - in reply to #52975)
Subject: Re: Introduction: me and my '58

Expert

Great story!...and welcome from a former NoDak.
safetymike77
Posted 2006-03-29 5:22 PM (#53038 - in reply to #53027)

Expert

darn... Brought tears to my eyes... Being a young father and loving these cars will do that to you when you read something like that.
61plymy
Posted 2006-03-29 6:26 PM (#53046 - in reply to #52975)

Expert

Greg,

Welcome to the site. We don't bite (all that often).

Yours is my favorite type of story. I am always amazed when people find the exact car of an earlier time in their life. The odds these cars would be crushed, destroyed in an accident, stolen and stripped....... amazing when it all comes back together again as it did for you. I'd say your Dad is your guardian Angel and he's makin' sure that car gets it's promised Father/Son work. It'll just be a small change to you and YOUR son.

You have half the battle won though. Your wife started the project, so it's all her fault! It is gonna be tough, though, with a little one coming. Budget now, I guess.

The car looks to be in good condition, with the usual rot areas. Take your time. It's all fixable.

Great story!

Mike
Kenny J.
Posted 2006-03-29 8:56 PM (#53056 - in reply to #52975)

Inactive by user's request

Welcome to the Lonney Bin, Greg.

What a special story. Awesome.

K.
Diesel45
Posted 2006-03-31 10:36 AM (#53185 - in reply to #53056)

Expert

Now...........THAT'S what I call an introduction, Welcome aboard Greg mate...
What a fantastic surprise for a wedding present...
Would your wife by any chance, like to buy ME a car as well ?
58Windsor
Posted 2006-03-31 11:17 AM (#53189 - in reply to #52975)

Veteran

Thanks for the welcome guys!

I feel pretty lucky to have such a great lady as my wife!

I've had a better chance to look the car over now, she's got some rough spots, but overall pretty good and very much the way I remember her from my childhood.  I'm still going back thru the old threads here trying to catch up on brake upgrade options and all I can find on the 58's, Windsors in particular.  Doesn't look like there's too many around.

60dodgedart
Posted 2006-03-31 11:28 AM (#53191 - in reply to #52975)

Veteran

Greg: Welcome! Beautiful story, great car, and see what happens when
women get involved with FL cars? Beth Harris.
tuske427
Posted 2006-04-06 11:27 AM (#53646 - in reply to #52975)

Veteran

awesome story, that's one for the textbooks..

You're also lucky to have a cool car like that in your family history. If this type of thing had happened to me, I'd be fixing a '71 Pinto! Ha Ha

Good luck on the car, and don't be afraid to upgrade your car to make it safe and more enjoyable to drive. After all, you mentioned you wish to drive it. There's nothing wrong with disc brakes, seatbelts, collapsable steering column, etc. It's all in the improvement of safety.

-BV
Ray Bell
Posted 2006-04-14 6:56 AM (#54121 - in reply to #52975)

Expert

Yes indeed, a lovely story... I've forwarded it to a few of my friends...

I certainly hope you have plans to have the car at Tulsa next year. Or at least can formulate those plans between pre-natal classes and sleepless night experiences. Having a child is a wonderful experience, make the most of it... but there's just one more thing.

Don't leave it till the kid grows up to restore the car!
Tony B.
Posted 2006-04-14 9:27 AM (#54125 - in reply to #52975)

Cool Story. It always helps to have a supportive wife, one more interest shared. Also, as previously mentioned, DON'T wait till your son/daughter is older, time with Dad is invaluable at any age. Great "Family" project car, Can't wait to read and see more about it. Welcome, Tony
FinFan
Posted 2006-04-17 7:55 AM (#54280 - in reply to #52975)

Elite Veteran

Looks like this is that Dart line Windsor, am I right ?
MOPARHEMIPAUL
Posted 2006-04-17 10:30 AM (#54283 - in reply to #52975)

Veteran

WELCOME TO THE CHRYSLER FORUM.
CONGRATULATION'S TO YOU AND YOUR WIFE ON YOUR WEDDING!
NICE STORY AND A NICE FIND. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CAR ALSO.
58Windsor
Posted 2006-04-17 8:57 PM (#54328 - in reply to #52975)

Veteran

Thanks everyone!

My currrent plan is to get her roadworthy & safe - needs a fuel pump, water pump, a good tuneup, belts, hoses, etc., and a total brake rebuild. I plan to go with Roger's front disk kit & would like to update the rears to self-adjusters as well. From there, we're just going to enjoy it pretty much as is while hunting down parts. We're going to see if we can't make a whole bunch more good memories with the car over summers and improve a thing or two over the winters. My best friend has a pink & white '59 Galaxie and another close friend has a '56 Ford business coupe; forget the model. We're planning some family picnics and similar outings with our families. Should make for good memories for the next generation and hopefully 'pass the torch'.

Ray - what part of NoDak were you from? How long has it been?

FinFan - yes, it is a Dartline. Also may be a spring-only color to go with the spring-only trim. I'm waiting to hear back from Chrysler Historical on that now. Paint code on the car isn't on the charts.

Oh, nearly forgot... In North Dakota once a vehicle reaches 40 years old, its eligible for "Pioneer" license plates. $10 ONCE and its licensed forever. Or for $100 ONCE, you can have a custom Pioneer plate. Mine now read MS U DAD.
Ray Bell
Posted 2006-04-17 9:06 PM (#54329 - in reply to #52975)

Expert

Was Gary from NoDak... I'm in some other place...

But I'm planning on going to Tulsa, so you should be there!
58Windsor
Posted 2006-04-18 7:52 PM (#54376 - in reply to #52975)

Veteran

Oops - tried combining a couple things into one there apparantly...

GARY - what part of NoDak were you from? How long has it been?

RAY - No, sorry, I won't make Tulsa. I'm not going to be traveling too far for a while. We're busy trying to get out from under some old bills already, and now with daycare expenses on the way its going to be harder yet. When a little play money is available, it'll be going for parts!
Pete
Posted 2006-04-18 11:03 PM (#54383 - in reply to #54376)

Veteran

Welcome aboard and congratulations!!!!! If you ever need a question answered, ask here. I have found out this group is always willing to help and has a wealth of knowledge you'll never find in any manual. Best of luck to you and your new Mrs!!!!!! Pete.
DakotaFury
Posted 2006-04-23 3:56 PM (#54603 - in reply to #52975)

58Windsor, I think there is a 4 dr sedan like yours sitting down here in a junk yard north of town. I'm down here in Aberdeen, SD. The junk yard is a few miles off US Hwy 281. They only have about 2 FwdLk cars...a Windsor and a 59 Plymouth. The Windsor is missing the hood but I remember seeing the same sort of side trim and inserts that your car car has. It's a faded rose color.
58Windsor
Posted 2006-04-23 6:19 PM (#54608 - in reply to #54603)

Veteran

Thanks Dakota!!!!!!

I see a roadtrip in the very near future!  Are they open Saturdays?

58Windsor
Posted 2006-04-28 3:23 PM (#54921 - in reply to #54608)

Veteran

'Dakota, would that yard be Hedge's or John Eichenger(sp?) out on old 12?

matadorkajjan
Posted 2006-04-28 3:40 PM (#54924 - in reply to #52975)

Veteran

Bless your wife, what better gift can a man get? I love your car and your wife right away!

I am the Editor of the Swedish chapter of Walter Percy Chrysler Club in Sweden and I sure whant you to know that i married for less

Cheers!

matadorkajjan
Posted 2006-04-28 3:41 PM (#54925 - in reply to #52975)

Veteran

Bless your wife, what better gift can a man get? I love your car and your wife right away!

I am the Editor of the Swedish chapter of Walter Percy Chrysler Club in Sweden and I want you to know that i married for less

This is my car, and I had to buy it my self

Cheers!

Edited by matadorkajjan 2006-04-28 3:43 PM

(PICT0211.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PICT0211.jpg (46KB - 340 downloads)
FinFan
Posted 2006-04-29 5:41 PM (#54999 - in reply to #52975)

Elite Veteran

I thought that 58Windsor might enjoy viewing this : http://www.plan59.com/images/JPGs/chrysler_1958_dartline_01.jpg
58Windsor
Posted 2006-04-29 7:11 PM (#55007 - in reply to #52975)

Veteran

Cool, thanks FinFan!

Edited by 58Windsor 2006-04-29 7:13 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *