Re: IML: Alternator Question

Your car should run just fine without the battery
present.

Several things:

If you live near a large city, there is likely a place
that can rebuild your existing unit.  If you doubt
that the unit is correct for the car anyway, you can
get a correct core and have that rebuilt for you.

I have cores and have access to a rebuilder if you're
interested.

At the same time that you do the Alternator, it is a
good idea to redo the voltage regulator as a matter of
course.  They're relatively cheap, and certainly
cheaper than a tow later.  When one component in a
system gives up, it's trying to tell you something,
and I just like eliminating all possible problems in a
system, so....

Also, I strongly advise in favor of new battery
cables.  this will force the removal of the cables and
consequently the inspection of the bolt that is
anchoring the ground cable.  Clean it with a wire
wheel to enhance conductivity.  If it is particularly
rusty, chasing the threaded hole with a tap as far as
you can and blowing the crud out is also advisable.

You now have eliminated potential cracks in the
cables, cleaned the ground bolt, redone the alternator
and regulator, and the terminal clamps are nice and
grippy because they are clean and new.

How old is that battery?  They do go bad and you're
there and all.

When dealing with old cars, it is the habit of some to
address the immediate symptom one item at a time.
That makes the car particularly prone to repeated
failure due to on-the-road testing for failure of some
very old parts.  My philosophy is to knock systems out
one at a time or all at once so that I have complete
confidence in them.

The majors would include:

All belts/hoses - this is VERY important
Brakes
Charging system
Tune-up kit/spark items
Tires
Carb
Trans gasket/filter
Oil/filter
Starter
re-align dashboard idol/hula girl

The minors (that can wait) include:

Radiator core/water pump
U-joints (may not be needed)
rear-end oil change (may not be needed)
ball-joints/steering linkages (may not be needed)
Steering rag joint (may not be needed)
Power steering pump
AC pump/clutch (check pump oil prior to operating!!)
Trans output seal (more important the longer the car
sat unused)

If you got a new-to-you car and spent $1000 on those
major parts up front and put them on, I'd bet that
your chances of something going wrong would drop to
almost zero barring catastrophic failure somewhere.

=====
Kenyon Wills