IML: Alternator Question

Evenin' all:

The '61 Crown is having alternator trouble.  Or, let me say, charging trouble.  I have looked over the archives regarding this topic -- including Mr. Benjamin's outstanding discussion in the archives) and I am still confused.  My understanding of car electrical components and the way they work, is close to zero but I am adding to that bucket every day.

Here's the dilema:  I don't think the alternator is putting out the proper amperage so I tried a trick my father used to do:  while the car was running (after proper warm up), I disconnected the positive battery cable and the car promptly died.  The trouble with that little trick was that I cannot remember if that meant the car has a bad alternator or a bad voltage regulator or what....all I remember is him cussing a blue streak when the car died each time.

So, I took the alternator off, took it down to NAPA and had them test it.  It was putting out about 21 amperes when it was rated for 55 amperes.  This alternator does not appear to be original equipment unless Motorola was making alternators for MOPAR back in 60/61.  The FSM says I should have a 40 ampere output alternator.

My trouble is this:  I can't seem to find a replacement alternator, primarily because I don't know what I am looking for.  The gal at NAPA said she could get one for a '74 Imperial with a 400 cid engine rated at I think she said, 65 amperes output, but her computer system showed zilch for a 413 cid engine.  She also was able to get one for the 440 cid engine size, but again, zilch for a 413.  Any suggestions?

Also, could it be the regulator?  And is the regulator that box (used to be black, but this one is brown with rust) on the driver's side inside fender just above the starter relay.  The FSM shows these pictures, but only in exploded view and it doesn't show location in vehicle.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks, again, for your help, in advance.

Electrically challenged in Allen Texas....