IML: '61 Side Marker Lights

Regarding the '61 Imperial with side marker flasher, that sounds like an aftermarket add-on which used to be a slightly popular add on for cars without them. In the '61 Imperials, the tail lamp already serves as a side marker light to a good extent.

Chris, thanks for the history on the side marker light. I always just thought the '69 Chryslers had burned out side marker lamps :-) You mentioned the new LED lamps. What strikes me is when I see a GM SUV product with an amber rear turn signal going in conjunction with a red LED side view mirror turn signal going. Somebody really needs to be checked for color blindness, or just logic, there at GM. (Isn't there a clause that it's ok to have minimal Imperial content if it coincides with GM bashing?)

I have converted my '72 Newport to have a front side marker flash, too. I used Dan Stern Lighting's tech page for the instructions. He has a very informative site, and I can't say enough about the (spendy) Cibie' Complex Reflector headlamps he sells. Here is the link for the front side marker lamp flash upgrade http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/markerflash/markerflash.html
On his site, there is also the info for adding a headlamp relay set-up to help protect those rocker style of headlamp switches in the later 60's Imperials.

Eric
Portland, Oregon
Anyway, there are cars that use the front side markers to double as
side-visible turn signals, including a few Mopars starting in the late 1980s
with, of all models, the antiquated Jeep Grand Wagoneer (Grand Cherokees
still have this feature). It's a great feature accomplished entirely by the
wiring setup, meaning it adds a benefit at virtually no cost. (If anyone
wants to know how to wire their side markers to double as turn signals,
email me privately. I've converted a number of my cars to do this.)
--
Chris in LA
67 Crown