Re: IML: Head Rests/restraints

Head restraints were required as of January 1, 1969 production , which means
1969 models built in late 1968 do not have to have them, and so many did
not.

It's common for NHTSA to put new regulations into effect on a given date,
though sometimes they do it by model year. )And model years are funny. A
manufacturer can call a car a 1970 model if it launches on Jan 2, 1969. The
rule is basically that you cannot have two January 1sts in any car's model
year.)

Usually NHTSA would pick a date that allows every car maker to address the
change at the start of the model year. I am sure they were hoping every 1969
model would voluntarily be made with head restraints even before January 1.
But NHTSA and corporate bean counters are different animals.

--
Chris in LA
67 Crown