IML: Imperials; Modifications and Defensive Driving

IML: Imperials; Modifications and Defensive Driving

We are blending two topics here, which is fine by me, but let's remember what they are.

1.  Installing newer equipment on our Imperials.
2.  Driving our Imperials safely.

Regarding number one, no one has ever had a good time here when they have suggested that they are choosing to upgrade their cars, for whatever reasons. This is, by and large, a "Keep 'Em As Is" group. I tend to agree with this. If your minimum requirement for a car is front disk brakes and fuel injection, buying a car from a vintage that predates these developments does not make any sense. In some instances it is acceptable. If you are rebuilding a total junker, for example, or if your local jurisdiction demands it, as is the case, I think, in France and Germany. Otherwise, I think if a car has managed to survice for forty five years intact it should be left that way. With enormous misgivings, I replaced my 58's original single pot master cylinder after an accident. I replaced the original style of MC so many times and they all failed. Every single one. Also, the single pot MC was impossible for me to bleed. I installed a MOPAR twin pot unit that attatched onto the original bolts, fitted the pedal and was designed for all around drum brakes. My brakes work noticably better and bleeding air, though still not easy, with the big accordian brake booster, is now a task that can be accomplished.

Regarding topic two, I could not agree with Paul more. You must drive each car differently, to maximise it performance in every respect. I know people who cannot do this. They get mad when a 1969 Buick does not perform like their Suburban. The difference freaks them out and does nothing for my piece of mind, either. I drive all sorts of things on the street. A 1929 Model A truck with heavy duty rear end. It won't go above thirty MPH but it can put out a tree stump. Or a 1924 fire truck, with mechanical brakes and no synchromesh. It's a work out and you need to plan for any braking whole blocks ahead. The 58 Imperial - I've said this so many times - gives the best driving experience of anything I have ever driven. It's hard to explain. It's probably only minor degrees of difference in a multitude of aspects from other cars but the overall effect is so satisfying. You need to tune yourself into each car you drive, get the feel of it and get to know how it handles. The 'new' brakes on my Imperial were almost scary to start with. The car wanted to stop so quickly, which was a major difference from before, where each brake application became a potential religious experience.

Hugh