Re: IML: brakes... a tuchy subject.

If properly maintained Total Contact Center Plane Brakes will last for at least 20,000 miles before relining. That has been my experience with them, although I believe that when they first came out, the claim was that they would last for 50,000 miles.

They need to be adjusted every time the car is serviced. Back when our cars were on the road, a brake adjustment was part of a lube and an oil change. That has not been true for over 25 years.

I drive modern disk brake cars as my regular vehicles now, and to be frank, they need brake pads about as often as the Imperials needed to be relined. The nice part about it is that they are self adjusting. Imperials didn't have self adjusting brakes until they changed to a conventional style in 1963. My '63 Imperial stops about as well as my modern cars but I don't know how the two types would compare in a "panic stop".

Paul