Re: IML: Disk Brake Conversion Rant

That's fair enough, Kenyon. I certainly am not an engineer. :-) But if others have the technical knowledge and expertise to provide such parts and/or accurate information concerning such swaps, I see no harm in doing the conversion.

My concern about the Budd brakes is a lack of supply. I never knew about you buying all those sets and offering them. And I must admit, I wondered about the Supra (did I spell that correctly? probably not) rotor substitution. But if those rotors offer the same characteristics as the original Budd rotors and work well, then I suppose they are a viable alternative.

K.

Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 08:30:49 -0800 (PST) From: Kenyon Wills <imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: IML: Disk Brake Conversion Rant Reply-To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx All I can say is that if you're as good an engineer as Chrysler Corporation was when your car was built, do the research, publish a white paper, and start producing the parts for a conversion so that the other folks that want to do it can have the benefit of your knowledge. If it's good enough to be lawsuit-proof, it's probably pretty good.

All I know is that I'm not an engineer and I hate math
with a passion, and that there are many complex things
to take into consideration on a disc brake conversion
that are beyond my limited grasp because they vary
from model to model of car even, and that my car was
engineered for the brakes that it has and that's good
enough for me.  My life's too complicated as it is
without experimentation on my brake system.

Many things get discussed here. People moaned about how hard Budd discs are to get and what they would do do for a shot at a set.