From: henry ford <fordsfairlane@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IML: 1957 Imperial Bumpers
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 22:12:30 -0800 (PST)

If you'r going to restore an IMPERIAL or just about any car you will need a dremel tool, they are great at just about anything, perfect for cutting old rusty bumper bolts as you can manage them around much easer than a grinder, and less destructive on the bumper brackets than a torch if you slip while cutting you can gouge or burn through a bracket or you'r hand ( ouch) ,, also the are great at pollishing hard to reach places.. so I suggest buy a dremel or a simmiler tool , and get all the little accessories to go with it. I baught one a few years ago and I use it alot even around the house.. well worth the money.. I went through a couple of small packs of cut off disks to remove an old bumper off an old ford . the nut and bolt was frozen together after i rounded the bolt head off I knew it would have to be cut off, and I didn't want to use a torch on it, so I tried a 4 inch grinder but it was to big to fit between the bumper and the brackets, the dremel worked but cuts a little
slow . and if you slip it wont damage as much . ,. And good luck with you'r project,

PiscesM21@xxxxxxx wrote: I have a rusted out 57 Imperial, I have tried to take the bumpers off but they just won't unbolt. I have tried everything to get them off and apart with everything, except a torch. Does anyone have ideas, as I am disassembling as much of the car as I can.
I have acquired a 1957 Chrysler Southampton, in the exact same color to replace it. It is missing the drive train, so I'll remove the drive train (392 Hemi& auto), and put it in the Southampton.
I appreciate any and all ideas so I can get the Southampton running.

Thanks,

Charles in Calif.
1957 Chrysler Imperial
1957 Chrysler Southampton