Re: IML: Imperial wheel bolt patterns

I don't know about '67 through '73, but the previous Imperials lost their wheels to Ford folks who wanted larger wheels on their vehicles. Imperial wheels would bolt on, plus those vent holes helped cool the brakes better. At that time, it didn't work the other way around (who would really want to) because the Ford wheel center hole was smaller.

When I bought my '62 it wasn't driving correctly, for many reasons, but one that was not readily apparent had to do with the fact that someone installed a 14" Ford wheel on one side in the back. The wheel wobbled on the hub making a very strange noise since the center hole didn't fit. It also caused other problems with the rear end because of the two rear wheels not being the same size.

Eric from the IML had discovered that car sitting on the street. He got me interested, we struck up a deal with the owner, and we had it running and driving the next night. We filled the power steering, and the radiator, and reconnected a few loose ignition wires. The car ran good enough that we drove it to downtown Seattle and had dinner before I settled in and spent the entire weekend cleaning and scrubbing it down. That smaller wheel was discovered during that process.

Last week I drove it to our first gathering of local IML members. Unfortunately it was snowing and freezing cold so no one else attended the meet.

Paul