IML: Drum to Disc conversion solutions & comparison

IML: Drum to Disc conversion solutions & comparison

Dietmar (StadtApoAchern@xxxxxxxxxxx), whose son has a
brake company that makes disc conversions for modern
cars wrote back and asked me to forward this to the
list.

Would it be possible to get photos and maybe
instructions for the club website once this mod gets
done, Dietmar?  We hope so!

Here is Dietmar's response:

====================

Here is my comment:
1.) as a longtime IML member I often said: my  IMP
drum brakes work fine.
2.) The values that Eric found - GREAT JOB - are
reasonable because
a. the  friction surface of the drum brakes are bigger
than the friction surface of the rotors
b. the cars were tested only once and only from 60 to
zero instead 120 mph to zero.
3.) The weight of the tested cars  is not mentioned.
4.) In general: braking means converting kinetic
energy into heat. To braken a car you need two
friction surfaces and a system  to press them
together.  The formula for kinetic energy is m/2 x v²
meaning that speed goes in by square !! If You use
rotors you have the pads, the friction ring of the
rotor, and mostly a floating calliper system with one
piston. You will realize at once, that the pad surface
of the disk brake is much smaller than the friction
surface of the drum. So what is better? The cooling
of the rotor is way better ... meaning how quick the
heat is dissipated. And the rotor / calliper combo is
much cheaper to produce and to install. The service to
me  needs the same care - even e floating calliper hs
to be serviced or it will not float.
5.) More improvement is given by a fixed calliper
system. You will have at least one piston  up to four
on each side of the calliper. This system needs
a special front end construction, which has to be very
stable. Calliper disk brakes  show better results but
often less comfort. (noise, warping)
6.) More improvement is given by bigger pistons in the
callipers, more hydraulic pressure, and more
aggressive pads ..
7.) More improvement is given by larger and thicker
rotors which need larger wheels
8.) More improvement is given by airducts, which carry
cold air to the disks and carry away hot air from the
disks.
9.) More improvement is given by special design of the
rotors to guide the cold air from the inner side
through the rotor to the exterior ...

10.) Now how is the Imperial ?
a. My 1960 is heavy as a Hummer, has 15" wheels and
drives  100 mph - I would never go faster.  A Hummer
has 20" to 28" wheels
b. The servo, the brake master cylinder  and the wheel
brake cylinder produce  a sufficient brake force
c. The friction surface is huge
d. The heat dissipating is bad.
e. The result is good for braking once from 60 mph but
bad from 100 mph and very bad for repeated  braking...
f. To get a better result with rotors you have to
enlarge the friction surface (larger wheels), the
pressure (larger pistons  better servo), the
heat dissipating (HOW?)
What is possible now for older IMP'S?
Movit, my son's  business   had developed special
brakes for SECURITY CARS.

Those heavy weights, mostly MERCEDES G  - have 15"/16"
 wheels.

Movit developed special  BILLET six piston callipers
for those little !! wheels, with a large pad area and
thick 298 mm rotors which fit under the 15" wheels.

Probably I will convert my Imp  this Year with those
brakes, but You may imagine that those BILLET
callipers are not "FREE" .. the official price is 3400
EURO .. for the kit.

Pleas ask if You have any further  question ..
dietmar
www.movit.de/htm/imp60hom.htm

============
============
============

Exchange rate is 1.3 Euro to the dollar.  that makes a
 3400 euro item $4,436 (today).

Will the brake kit include all hardware for mounting,
or just the rotor/caliper (what would it mount to? A
new knuckle would be required....)

============

By comparison:

I did an installation of a complete brake system on
the other 1964 last night.  Brakes work extremely
well, easily locking all four wheels with good
modulation between after 2 miles to bed the shoes -
may get better with use.

This is the 5th brake job on a drum Imp in as many
months for me, all with the same results, although
these are the Bendix and probably slightly better than
what is on the 1959 cars.  Parts cost was $400 with no
labor charges (had to replace a drum).

-Kenyon

=====
Kenyon Wills