Re: IML: Volvo looking like '55 Imperial

Re: IML: Volvo looking like '55 Imperial

In the enthusiast automotive world almost everything is relative.  However,
there are a few absolutes.  If I was on a lonely US highway, I would rather be
in a 55 Imperial (luxury car) as opposed to a 60's volvo (about half the price
of an Imperial, and twice [or may be three times] as noisy).  However, if I was
in a twisty and narrow European mountain road, I think the Volvo with its 4
speed mannual transmission (as opposed to a 2 speed auto), power disk brakes
with a primitive but effective rear drum anti-lock brakes (brakes that never
fade, and comparable with almost any modern car), only 100" wheel base,
suspension with super predictable handling at the limit even when sliding
sideways, with very fast (3.25 turns lock to lock) and precise non-power
steering, and 3-point seat belt, would be the better car, almost in absolute
terms.  When filling up in the gas station, the volvo may have some advantages
too.

I think this link does more justice to the car.

http://www.volvoadventures.com/123GTspecUSA.html

To close this, I don't think you can compare the two cars (55 Imperial and Volvo
122) since they are completely different animals, optimized for different
driving conditions.  However, somebody that appreciates Imperials, may also
appreciate the Volvo 122.  Both cars are built with much higher quality
standards in terms of quality of steel, thickness of sheet metal, and strength
of construction, compared to its competition.

D^2, 2x68 Imperial, 1x67 Volvo 122s