IML: On the road!

All:

I did it.  This weekend, I got the '61 4D Southampton off the jack stands and on the road!!!

I have never done anything like this before in my life (I am not mechanically inclined) and it would not have been possible without the help & support of the members of this mailing list (and the Factory Service Manual).

So, to all of you, a great big 'thank you!'

While she isn't perfect by any leap of the imagination -- she still doesn't go backward on her own), she does run down the road pretty well.  I do have a couple of concerns that I need y'all's help with:

1)  Braking.  Without pumping the brake pedal, I don't have any brakes.  The parking brake works fine (I think that is because it is linked to the drivetrain and not the wheel axles) and I definitely do not have any power assist -- I think that is the booster since vacuum appears to be adequate.  I can pump the brake pedal a couple of times and the brakes apply without any fade, but I have to pump the brake pedal each time to get any stopping.  Does that mean I have not bled the brakes properly?  Or, perhaps, does it mean, I need to turn the adjusting cams a bit farther for better, closer contact?  Or something else?  I have some additional reading to on this topic in the arhives.

2)  Steering.  I have no power assist even though the pump appears to be in good working order.  When it was off the car, the pulley turned easily and it did not appear to be leaking fluid.  Any suggestions on how to diagnose this problem?  In addition, there is quite a bit of play in the steering wheel.  Any suggestions from the list on how to correct this problem?

3)  Charging system.  After installing a new voltage regulator and a new alternator I had the following situation occur.  There is a "click/thunk" noise under the dash behind the instrument panel.  This "click/thunk" cycles about once every ten seconds or so and it does it whether the car is on or off.  Disconnecting either battery cable causes the noise to stop.  With the car on, this "click/thunk" occurs at the same time as the "battery" gauge pegs over to the far right (the "C"harging side).  In the "off" cycle, the gauge reads just left of center in the gauge.  Also during this "click/thunk" cycle, if the lights are on, they will behave as if the bright lights are on.  They aren't -- the bright head lamps do not illuminate, but there is a distinct flash in the light's brilliance, if that makes any sense.

4)  Panelescent lighting.  Doesn't work.  I have some reading to do on this topic in the archives as well, but I haven't any lights at all.  The map light works; the dome light does not.  The radio works (AM is soooo coooool) and the power antenna works but the radio dial does not light up.  The turn signal indicators inside & outside work; the gear selection & HVAC selection buttons do not illuminate.

5)  HVAC.  I have hi & lo fan and I have heat but only at my feet.  I don't have any front windscreen defrost (I don't have the rear window defrost option), nor do I have fresh air ventilation.  From reading the 1 1/2 paragraphs in the FSM devoted to this, I believe I have some vacuum hose disconnects or bad diaphragms or perhaps something else.  Any suggestions?

Have I told y'all how much fun and rewarding this is?

Pictures for the site shortly....

Joe
On the road, in Allen, TX (test drives only)
'61 Crown 4D Southampton.