Re: IML: On the road! -Congrats Joe!!

CONGRATULATIONS JOE!!!

That must be a super feeling to finally be in motion.

> 1)  Braking.  Without pumping the brake pedal, I
> don't have any brakes.  The parking brake works fine
> (I think that is because it is linked to the
> drivetrain and not the wheel axles)

It is.  There is a miniature brake drum at the back of
the transmission.  It is also adjustable - try not to
rely on it too much...  You're golden on that unless
the driveshaft falls off.

and I definitely
> do not have any power assist -- I think that is the
> booster since vacuum appears to be adequate.  I can
> pump the brake pedal a couple of times and the
> brakes apply without any fade, but I have to pump
> the brake pedal each time to get any stopping.  Does
> that mean I have not bled the brakes properly?  Or,
> perhaps, does it mean, I need to turn the adjusting
> cams a bit farther for better, closer contact?

Could be either.  Your shoes should be VERY close to
the drum.  There is a complete guide with
illustrations in the MASTER TECHNICIANS SERVICE
CONFERENCE under 1959 called "new platform brakes" or
something like that.  That's a great place to start.

Your symptoms are classical for air in the lines, but
the fact that your pedal firms up quickly without
being spongy means something too.  I think your logic
is sound, so adjusting and bleeding would definietly
be the first place to start working.

> 2)  Steering.  I have no power assist even though
> the pump appears to be in good working order.  When
> it was off the car, the pulley turned easily and it
> did not appear to be leaking fluid.  Any suggestions
> on how to diagnose this problem?  In addition, there
> is quite a bit of play in the steering wheel.  Any
> suggestions from the list on how to correct this
> problem?

No Power Assist:  Hoses connected?  Not
blocked/pinched? -you did replace those crucial and
probably old, prone to failure/fire hoses, right???
Fluid topped off?  Need new pump?  When you get it
working, rotate wheel to both limits several times to
expel air and recheck fluid level.

Play:  Loosen nut atop dome on steering box.  Tighten
bolt (paddle on top?) then back off to VERY light
snugness.  Hold paddle while retightening locking nut.
 This is common.  Too tight and you'll wear your box
out prematurely, you only get so much take-up in the
slack and then you have to replace/rebuild.  There
should be 2 inches or so of slop in the wheel when the
car is turned off.  This will be masked by the power
steering when running.  When car is off, wheel will
progressively load up as you flop it from side to side
with a small amount (2"?) of play in the middle.

No idea about the rest, but the dash lighting and the
spikes "could" be related?  Dunno though.

=====
Kenyon Wills