RE: IML: Firm Feel Quick Ratio Power Steering? Firm Feel, Inc.

I don't think the "Firm Feel" steering is quick ratio. It's just a heavier spring. It gives the steering more "feel" which may or may not be a good thing. My understanding is it's an $8 part, but takes great skill to install. The quick ratio steering was a pitman arm swap and I believe it was only offered on AAR 'cudas/TA Challengers and a few '71 340 e-bodies. I am not sure if any of these parts would retrofit to an Imperial. Dick at Firm Feel offers different levels of firmness and the parts to go quick ratio. This is applicable to j-body Imperials (80's era) and possibly others. I've never used his parts, but he has a good rep as does Steer 'N Gear.

Rob

From: "Wm. R. Ulman" <twolaneblacktop@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: IML: Firm Feel Quick Ratio Power Steering?  Firm Feel, Inc.
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:09:47 -0800

Is this the Chrysler "fix" with the pinions installed? I had David Curtis
who does these rebuilds on my '60 vert, and it was light night and day.
Right of the bat, the steering was pretty firm, but loosened up just enough
after driving the car a few hundred miles. My understanding was the Firm
Feel, was created by Chrysler as a fix for Police issue cars in the late
'70's when they started using the Diplomat, and later the New Yorker
platform for Police, or Hwy Patrol vehicles. There were several complaint
of over steer at high speed, so Chrysler came up with these pinions, or
something much more involved I'm sure, and called it "Firm Feel Quick Ratio"
power steering.

My '66 has had no problems with the pump, or steering in any way so I have
not had it done on my '66, but if and when I do need the steering redone, I
would highly recommend this upgrade. David Curtis is local here in the
Seattle area, but has been sort of out of the loop recently. I saw him
about 6 months ago at the Safeway. He was leaning on my car when I came out
of the store, and I did not recognize him, but he knew me, by my license
plates, which were on the '60 also. We chatted, and he said I should bring
the car by and let him have at it anyways. He mostly specializes in C-Body
cars, but is really nice, and does what comes his way.

Bill Ulman
Seattle, WA