Re: IML: heater core

I wouldn't advise using "stop leak" unless you are having an emergency. It may stop the leak in your heater core, and also plug up the radiator, impeding the flow of coolant through the cooling system.

Any time it is used to "get you home", if it works for you well enough to do that, the system should be flushed out as soon as possible, the leak found, and repaired correctly.

I haven't had my '68 Imperial long enough to know if this will work, but until you are able to get the core changed, bypass it by hooking the inlet and the outlet hoses together with a coupling, or a "flushing tee". That is the way I have dealt with this issue in several cars over the years that had an unexpected problem on the road.

If you don't want to "dig in to the dash" to change you heater core, you may find a reputable air conditioning/ auto service center that could do it for you. One in ten shops might be up to doing the job. Some of these can be done from under the hood, others are done from inside the car. Either way, if you don't want to get dirty, or don't have a factory service manual, you should probably find a shop you trust for this and other big jobs that may come up in the future.

Paul