IML: Performance Imperials

Rob

The 1967 - 1970 saying at the time was the Plymouths and Dodges used for
police work, were nothing more than four door Road Runners or GTX's with a rear
axle ratio that was one notch taller.  The Road Runners or the such may take the
qtr mile and the cop would be at the mile waiting.  Persuit cop cars at that
era had 3:23's, dual snorkles and dual exhaust.  In the above form the engine
was either the 361, 383 or the 413 in the early 60's and then either the 383
or the 440.

You mentioned that some Camaros and others were used.  Please bare with me as
I type out this quote from the first time Camaros were tested by Calif for
police work in 1979.

 ... The Camaro Z28 was an entirely different story.  The heat of the El
Centro, the continous high speeds around Bakersfield, and the mountain grades
around Redding, took a heavy toll.  Of the twelve Z28 test cars, nine had to have
the engine replaced altogether.  Five of the engines were over-hauled due to
piston or main bearing failure at least once before being replaced by a
different engine.  Only the three Z28's driven in the urban Los Angeles traffic did
not need new engines.

   The Camaros logged the most down time at 52 hours per month and of course
the highest operating cost at 48 cents per mile.

   CHP mechanics were not fond of the Z28, Cited in Police Produce News they
said:  "GM has a long way to go before they can market a high speed machine
that can match the  endurance of the old Dodge gunboat."

The above is from a book called Police Cars, page 32.

While on the subject of cop cars take a peak at this site:
http://www.copcar.com/month.htm

Either way our Imperials used the same ideal to beat out the Caddy's or
Linclon's.

                                       Rodger & Gabby
                                       Colo Spgs

'47 De Soto Custom w/Fluid Drive & passenger door mounted swamp cooler
'63 Le Baron w/F-Sweep trunk lid & std A/C
'66 Le Baron w/dual A/C & reverbed AM/FM
'70 Overlander - InterNational Dbl
'77 D150 w/360, NP 4 Spd, 12 Bolt Axle, OEM Buckets & etc