IML: 3.3L Alternator Replacement

About three weeks ago, the alternator in my 1990 Imperial went south.  As
often happens, it took the voltage regulator with it.  In fact, it is hard
to tell if the chicken or the egg was first but that's not important right
now.  I was able to get a replacement alternator for about $175 exchange.
The voltage regulator was the a bigger issue.  You see, in their wisdom,
Chrysler built the voltage regulator into the engine computer on that car,
and most cars after 1990 as well.  I was able to find a replacement computer
from a salvage yard for $100 plus $20 shipping.  There was a problem though,
the replacement computer (as well as a second replacement computer) was from
a car that had a security system in it.  The security system would not allow
the engine to run for more than a few minutes.  My mechanic was able to fit
an external voltage regulator to the new alternator and reassembled the car
with the original computer.  The yard where I got the two replacement
computers will refund my purchase price so I'm out only about $40 shipping
costs.

The car is all back together now and in running order.  Total bill, about
$550 for parts and labor.  I can't imagine that I've saved $550 in gas by
driving that car this year!  Not only that but I had just completed a $250
retrofit due to the failed ABS system.  If it wasn't a dream to drive the
car, it would be outa here, fast!

Please quote this message in your reply.  Otherwise I will be unable to
reply to your message.  Thanks.