IML: Useful information that may need to be posted on the site.

IML: Useful information that may need to be posted on the site.

Hi Everyone;

I purchased a 1961 black Imperial Lebaron some time back. It sat in a building since 1984. The owner had passed away and the only information I had was that he was the second owner and at the time had mechanical and some cosmetic work done but then never used it.

I, on replacing the complete brake system found new hardware that was ruined because of sitting for over 20 years. I could not figure out why someone would go to the trouble and let in sit in a building.

I believe I found out. I had the brakes looked over by a mechanic who is well known in the area and whose father though retired still gives him info. The father was a die hard chrylser guy. I needed help in getting the system bled correctly.

There was problem, a lot of the grease ran out of the axles onto the brakes in the rear and ruined them. That only after a half mile drive.

The mechanic, Harpold, pulled the axles and found them to be exact in length which is wrong.
The left side drive axle is supposed to be 1/4" longer, if not the axle cannot alot the seals to seat properly. He corrected that and the car is fine.

I think one of the previous owner replaced the left axle and did not know this and gave up and put it in storage.

Anthony