Re: IML: 65 Imperial Cable Shift Transmission Trouble (long winded) HELP

Hello all, I have had trouble in sending messages to the mailing list lately. I hope it goes through now. Maybe someone can help. Thanks all,     Rob Kidd  61/65 Imps          ( Or just maybe a reply to verify this letter went through )
----- Original Message -----
From: Rob Kidd
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 7:53 AM
Subject: Re: 65 Imperial Cable Shift Transmission Trouble (long winded) HELP

----- Original Message -----
From: Rob Kidd
Sent: Sunday, January 30, 2005 12:43 AM

Wondering if anyone with the cable shift torqueflite ever had this kind of trouble with theirs. This problem has been going on for many years with mine and is getting worse lately. I have talked to a few tranny shop guys but they have never seemed to  heard of this kind of problem. They will gladly rebuild my trans, but they can't guarantee they could fix this problem.
          OK, if I get in this car and drive it about 5 or more miles, and then pull up to stop and park the car to get gasoline or whatever, the shift lever will not go into park. It will just sort of bind when you lift the shift lever from the drive position.It will go down to second and first positions as it should easily, and back to second and drive, but not to neutral or beyond.
           This is the only problem with the transmission.   The driveability of it is absolutely fine. No slippage, foreward or reverse, and the shift points are proper.
           So, what I had done before while the car was locked in this mode, I put it on the hoist and quickly took down the trans pan and looked over the valve body and I noticed that the cable should push the manual shift lever on the valve body to the neutral, reverse, and finally to the park position. Well, the cable was sort of kinked because it could not push the manual lever past the drive position on the valve body. OK, I then tried to move the manual lever by hand, and it was stuck. It would not go from the drive position to neutral or beyond. But it does go from drive to second and to first as easy as it should. And from first, second, to drive position easily. It won't go past the drive position with the manual lever.  But let it sit about 20 minutes or so and it is like some fluid pressure or something bleeds off, and it will shift normal again like nothing ever happend.
            Next thought, cable side is OK since it is doing its job of trying to push the manual lever to the position needed. The manual lever is tight for some reason- well alright, we'll try another valve body assembly. I have tried two other valve body assemblies- plus the original one - all had the same problem still !!
             It is like their is fluid pressure built up in the valve body somehow and not letting the manual valve go past the drive position until the car sets for about 20 minutes, and bleeds down, after that it will shift easily like it should.
             Seems to me like a valve somewhere in the trans that controls fluid to or from the transmission maybe hanging up and causing pressure in the valve body? I don't know. And I just can't explain it any better. I had a transmission guy drive it and he parked it and said he didn't know- never had that problem. Others I've talked to never heard of it either.
              This problem has been for many years, driveability is OK though. But it is getting worse+more often. I had to disconnect the neutral safety switch, so it will start in gear after a fill-up at the gas pump or a quick stop somewhere, or I will need to let the car sit for 20 minutes so it will pop out of gear.( I'll be the first to admit this is a dangerous idea, but I am the only driver of the car as of now. And I think of it at every start.) And I always need to watch where to park since I get only one chance to pull in since it will not always go into the reverse mode to back in. Hasn't been fun lately to drive this car with the goofy problem!
               Has anyone else had this kind of trouble with theirs, Maybe push button shift cars would not allow the buttons to be pressed in? Again, I had offers to rebuild this trans, but they never had this kind of problem, and won't guarantee a rebuild will cure it? Would like to know maybe where to check first.
                Oh yes, I also tried to bypass the transmission cooler system in case it was plugged, it did not help.
Another thought, I would like to keep the correct trans in the car and have it repaired. But maybe I should just get a whole different trans and have it rebuilt and use it?
                How can I tell if the trans in my car is the original numbers matching one? Where would I look for the numbers- and how would I know if the trans is the correct original one that the car had since new?
                 Any rebuilders in the N.E. Ohio area?
 Any help would be appreciated- to make the trip to Carlisle a little more enjoyable this year.                 Rob 61/65

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.