Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 9:52 AM
Subject: Re: IML: gold anodizing (!!!!) on '59 door sill plate inserts

the 1960 has quite a bit of gold-anodized aluminum on
it.  I have seen the results of gold plating and they
produced a very incorrect look to my eye.  I don't
know what you have there, but I think the Lebaron
hubcaps for 59 were another spot that were gold
anodized.

Anodized aluminum has a more matte finish that is
unique and does not look like jewelry or flash - just
tasteful richness of color.

There are companies that do anodizing in most major
metro areas - check your phone book/google.

They don't charge much (compared to some other areas
in our hobby), and you're best off doing everything at
once, as they charge by the batch, not the item.  They
attach all items to one tree and dip them together.  A
case of beer strategically placed under your items at
delivery always makes the finish glow better.

The process isn't overly expensive and is a several
day turnaround process.  Dean's Anodizing in Redwood
City Ca. is the place that I've used with great
success.

I'd strongly advise against any other process if
you're particular about getting the car to look right.

-Kenyon

(PS - Neal, your package went out today - thanks)

=====
Kenyon Wills