Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 2:02 PM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: OT - Upholstery adhesive

Tom:

I am sending you some links, the first is for a glue that I have been wanting to try, yes is a HVLP sprayable, and is water based.  It is supposed to the "end all..glue all," and I really want to try it.  It is designed for furniture/upholstery production.  I am not a professional trimmer, I have learned everything that I know by reading, watching, and doing.  If you are willing to put the time into the trial and error process, I find that personally, I learn the most this way...but everyone is different.  I spent countless hours at the library reading books on this, and then I got home and muddle my way through it.  My mother was an upholsterer, but sadly I never learned as much as I should have from her when I had the chance...and am now learning the hard way.

The first link is this one for the glue that I am going to try next, professional grade.

Here is an information link on adhesives, you can email these guys with any questions, and they will give you the information that you need.

This link is for a DIY show that they did on replacing leather door panels..thought you might be interested.  I only worked with leather once quite a number of years ago, and back at that time we used a horse glue of some sort, cannot remember the name.   We covered a dash in leather, and it turned out really nice.  It lasted for at least five years and likely more, but we sold the car and never heard from the new owner.  They say that you have to use a cyanoacrylate type glue on leather, and you can get those through the second link above.

When I decided that I wanted to try my hand at custom interiors, I watched some shows on it, read a lot of books, got videos from the library's and talked to anyone and everyone who would give me input...then I went out and bought some closed cell foam, chipboard, fiberboard, 1/2" plywood, vinyl, and air stapler/brad nailer, and air angle die grinder...and then just went nuts.  The first couple of tries were ok, but not fabulous...but I learned a lot...after that, things started getting better and I figured hey...what about flames?  So, tried that...the more I tried stuff, the more I learned.  I am definitely not an expert on this, but I have had some success at it and really enjoy doing it.  If you choose to go this route, just buy cheaper materials that you feel you can use just for the purpose of education.

There is a REALLY good book on this that I recommend to everyone who asks  it is called CUSTOM AUTO INTERIORS and is by Ron Mangus.  He is awesome, and his books are highly descriptive.  He has a website, and I will include that link here for you.  I noticed that on his website, he even has "HOW TO" videos.  This guy is great, and even though I haven't seen his videos, after reading his book, I can imagine that they are great.

You might try this stuff, and you might not...but this is the way that I went.

Take care, and good luck...you're gonna need it...LOL

Teresa