Re: IML: About Tom McCahill, and his judgement of the car in '67

Re: IML: About Tom McCahill, and his judgement of the car in '67

Uncle Tom did "slam" the '67 Imperial. He was annoyed that they finally had decided to put it on the same platform as the rest of the company line.

His main interest in the Imperial over the years was that it was a powerful luxury car with a "handling package". His complaints about the '67 were totally about the fact that it no longer stood apart from the rest of the line. After reading that road test myself in high school I would never have considered any built after the '66 model year as being "true Imperials". That is until my mother bought a new '68 LeBaron.

There were things about that car that I did not like, mainly that it was a big square car. My first drive was utterly amazing. It was super quiet, super fast, and after all these years, I will say that it was built better overall. I am sure that the amount of time that went into the assembly was probably less, but technology had afforded the industry some real benefits by the time that the 1967 Imperial was introduced.

Comparing this car to the "Box Car Lincolns" of the late '50s is like comparing a rose to a stink weed. Those Lincolns were a flop because the technology wasn't yet there to support such a large car built in that format. By '67 Chrysler had this ability and used it well. These Imperials handle the best of any built up to that time. This fact is simply due to improvements in the industry that took place at a very rapid rate in those years.

I have become convinced over years of experience that Imperial built after '66 are every bit as much an Imperial as ever. I will always have a preference for the cars built between 1957 and 1966, but I am very comfortable in considering 1967 and newer cars as "True Imperials". Uncle Tom may have been disappointed, but he didn't stick around long enough to see how well these cars held up and how little they changed in there first 100,000 miles of use.

Paul