Re: Re: IML: Unit-body vs body-on-frame

I'll second that!  Unibody was not just a costcutting measure, but a step at modernizing and improving the line, which I believe it did.

I would add that just because a car is unitized doesn't mean it has no frame; it just means the frame members have been integrated into and welded to the rest of the body (as opposed to bolted on).

I'm guessing now, but I'd say about 80-90% of the cars built today are unitized construction.  The exceptions are some trucks and some SUVs.  The reason is, as I understand it, greater strength at lighter weight.

Mark M