IML: A new Imperial, my two cents...

I like this topic about reviving the Imperial. But what I really like are the very cogent replies on the subject. If I were to keep a tally, I think most of you would take the 40-50K and come back home with a fleet of golden oldies.
If I had that many C notes burning a hole in the seam of my pantalones, I think I would do the same.

But all that aside,

You have to admire any car company that takes some degree of risk in an effort to re-invent itself.
The 300C and its cousin, the Magnum wagon, are one of those cars that makes you want to look at it from every angle. Aside from the new Mini, Caddy CTS, the new Mustang or the Infiniti G30, there are just too few cars out there that evoke that kind of curiosity.
The down side of an Imperial in today's age is that people today have a different expectation of what luxury (and quality) is. They don't mind being cramped in, having a bump y ride, and sitting on tough seats.
The 4 million watt CD playing radio with more speakers than a Pink Floyd concert will appease all of those inconveniences.
Which is why the SUV is the new era's equivalent of the full sized family car from the days of our childhood.

The thought of seeing a Durango with a different hemline, re-badged as an Imperial SUV leaves me acting like my cat as he tries to dislodge a fur ball. Even though these bread boxes on wheels have been the only saving grace for the luxury marques, I find it almost insulting to good taste, and careful design.

Enter the 300 once again. Chrysler is making an arrangement with ASC to introduce a 4 door 300C convertible. This is yet another step in a direction towards earning respect and attention.
I don't know when it will come out, but it will be the first 4 door convertible since 40 years ago with the Lincolns. Now that's pretty exciting stuff.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com