Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2005 4:59 PM
Subject: Re: IML: 1960 Starter Relay - where can I find one?

In the process of moving form my house, my '60 wouldn't do what it usually does best -
start up. Turns out it was the relay. With the help of a screwdriver pressed against the
relay's bottom terminal, she started beautifully. NAPA lists relays back to 1961 and
my mechanic neighbor says that a Ford relay can be used in place of the original.
That's all I know. Can anybody verify or add to this?
Thanks.
Jim Brown
1960 Crown Southampton ( 4 dr. white)

FltSgt@xxxxxxx wrote:
Rob & Others

The passenger side of the Imperials exhaust manifold is almost the same from
1959 to the last one that rolled out the door. The changes are: dropping the
generator mount when they went to the alternator, extending the down portion
of the manifold in 1967 on regular powered 440's, issuing the HP manifold,
going to a manifold that has smog fittings and the manifold that I'm speaking of.
At the glance they appear the same, but when laid next to each other one can
see the upper portion will flow better.

The drivers side of the early wedge powered Imperials dumps in the center due
to the starter and steering fighting for the rear space. That is why the
center dump. Staring with the 1967 year the Imperial shares the same as the
other makes of MoPar. That is why you and others may have the C-body HP
manifolds. The pick up trucks and etc all use the center dump exhaust manifold as the
59 - 66 Imperials did, but the flow engineers have worked on the design. A
center dump will work on the passenger side due to all types of space. A
passenger side manifold mounted on the drivers side will dump at the A-frame
location so that is out of the question.

You wrote about the tubed hugger headers. They may be fine for some folks,
but to me I would rather spend hours and hours looking for and installing an
item that appears as if it may have rolled out the door with it on.

Rodger & Gabby
Colo Spgs

'47 De Soto Custom w/Fluid Drive & passenger door mounted swamp cooler
'62 Crown Coupe w/std A/C & Auto-Pilot
'66 Le Baron w/dual A/C & reverbed AM/FM
'70 Overlander - InterNational Dbl
'77 D150 w/360, NP 4 Spd, 12 Bolt Axle, OEM Buckets & etc