Re: IML: Brake Part Cleaning/Painting

Soak/immerse your droms for 72 hours in vinegar of any
kind.  flip them once every 24 hours.  I got a large
plastic box with a lid (crucial regarding stink and
evaporation) and filled it with about 15 gallons.  You
could do less and do one drum at a time?

Scrub with fine steel wool or SOS pad as you rinse
with a garden hose.  Do this on dirt.  rusty vinegar
concoction will stain cement.  So will carrying a
dripping drum to the dirt to hose it.

You will have a drum (and any other rusty parts) that
look almost like virgin metal.  Use Engine paint.
Semi Gloss Black is always a safe way to go.

Wire wheel will remove all else from the other parts
for painting.  I use a bench grinder for little stuff.
 10k RPM grinder with wire rope wheel for the big
stuff like rear end and leaf-springs.

You're doing all components on the brake system,
including pads, 3 hoses, all wheel cylinders, Master
cylinder, and inspecting existing metal lines for
rust?  I took apart a 66 Tbird the other day, and
moved the MC while it was still on the rigid lines and
should have just hung there away from the
booster/firewall, no problem, right?  It snapped off
in my hand with a 10th the pressure that they should
support.  It's a rusty car.  Scared me and made me
happy that I wasn't going to trust them as I had
planned to.

One weak link anywhere on the brakes and you're going
to need body work and a lawyer.  DO NOT LIVE AND LEARN
on those - overdo them!!

Hope you get back on the road soon!!

-Kenyon

--- JCantor791@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Now that I've passed the hurtle of getting the rear
> drums off, I expect
> (notice I didn't say 'assume') to have little
> difficulty in assessing the condition
> of the brakes and cleaning and adjusting the working
> parts back to spec.  The
> weak effectiveness and somewhat soft peddle I
> suspect will eventually be
> traced back to the master cylinder.
>
> Anyway, while I have the drums off, I thought it
> might be a good idea to
> clean them well and perhaps paint them to minimize
> future rust damage.  A while
> back I seem to recall seeing a thread either here or
> elsewhere about a good
> technique for cleaning brake and suspension parts
> and painting them where
> appropriate.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I
> couldn't find much in the archives and
> ended up looking through the Eastwood and Crosswell
> (?) websites.  Both
> companies have lots of interesting sounding albeit
> expensive solutions.  What I
> remember was a technique based on common everyday
> tools and inexpensive cleaners.
>
> Also, if I proceed down this route, what type and
> color of paint would have
> been used in '56 on brake drums from the factory?
> Black? Grey?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff
> '56 Sedan