Re: IML: The Cold War and Chrylser's Forward Look hit piece

Quoting Hugh & Therese <hugtrees@xxxxxxxx>:

> And we wonder why they thought there was an American Imperialist agenda.
> This brochure resonates with several layers of irony.  Discussing them would
> be too far from the main stream focus
> of this list even for me.  I will repeat that I think the worst thing about
> these cars we love is the name they were given.  To me, it just doesn't jive
> with American ideals.  I even wonder if it appealed to the
> wealthy individuals who were looking for a prestige vehicle.  It's a sour
> note for a country which, though it has had the opportunity to set up an
> empire both in Europe and Asia, never did so.
>
> Hugh

On the contrary.  The name "Imperial" suits perfectly to the true American
Ideal, or at least what was hiding behind these "ideals".  An empire WAS being
built during that time.  As WW2 destroyed the old colonian powers in Europe,
the US took over as the world's empire, with the USSR trying to keep up.
Through the control of the western world by the fear of the cold war, the
wealth of the USA peaked at the expense of the rest of the western world.
These cars were of astronomical size, ride, and performance to most folks in
western Europe of that time.  Although generally slightly better than Wadburgs
and Moscovits, a Fiat or a Citroen DCV, or a 2 stroke DKW or Saab from that era
was still pretty bad.  Even a base model M. Benz from 1959 is pathetic compared
to that basic 59 Plymouth.

Of course, its doubtful that any of that had anything to do with the selection
of the name.  The name originated from the 20's and 30's, well before the peak
of the Imperial.  D^2