From: richard burgess <lecrown60@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 03:46:47 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: IML: LeCrown comes home a Crown

The guys did a great job for me overall.  The car was taken off the frame, the entire chasis and drivetrain restored, and all the body and paintwork done.  It took so long in part because a rear axle problem haulted work and they got started on another car.  The primary reason was I could only pay for so much at a time.  Believe me the car was never this straight from the factory.  The bodywork is amazing.  There were all these factory original waves in the door tops and rear fenders from where the trim holes were punched in the sheetmetal, all gone now.

They did tell me to keep a list of problem areas and to bring it back for free repair at the end so I am not through yet.  The hood alignment problem did not show up until we put in the side rubbers, for the hood, on the fenders for the ride home.  All the paint problems are fairly minor, a drip or two, a fish eye, some pits, some sanding scratches.  None of these things were visible inside the bodyshop so I can't fault them too much.  Black paint is just difficult, I used glazurit paint and it looks a mile deep.  I am sure everything will get taken care of, I just have a long meticulous process of assembly and detailing in front of me.

Richard
'60 Crown sedan
'60 LeBaron sedan

henry ford <fordsfairlane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I know where your coming from , I'm doing as much as possible to restore my 59 imperial, and I cant wait to drive it around , but as much as I want the car completed now, I know that if it is rushed to quickly that something will be overlooked, and will cause me great heartache  if something bad should happen to the car as a result, of a half @$$ job.

sorry to hear that the restoration shop took so long and from the way it sounds to me they didn't do very much to you're car during the 1 yr 4 mo,

this is why it is so important to check in on your car as often as possible , and always ask how things are coming along. and have them show you what they have done, get as much information then, if you think they are yanking your chain, just post any questions on the list and I'm sure there are many of us who will be level with you.

if it was me I would make them redo the paint for free, or advise them that I would take legal action.
so many people get the shaft and do nothing about it, that is why so many shops cheat people because they think they will get away with it, DON'T LET THAT HAPPEN TO YOU!.

richard burgess <lecrown60@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Folks,

Brought the Crown home today from the restoration shop.  The car was in
the shop a year and 4 monthes for frame off drivetrain and body
restoration.  There were numerous paint flaws that had not shown themselves
until the car was in sunlight for the first time.  I think the black
paint just hid some things under the shop lights.  Also disappointed that
the front end sheetmetal was out of allignment but the car hauler was
waiting.  They tried some adjusting but feel the frame is bent and need
to do some frame work.  I had told them I suspected as much earlier, but
it just slipped by.  We decided I would get the car assembled and come
back for some final body work which is going to delay some trim
installation.   I may try to fix some of the little things myself.  I spent
the afternoon cleaning up the underside of the roof and spraying it with
Eastwood's rust encapsulater.  Not that it was too bad, I just have a
napped cotton headliner going in and am not taking any chances on a rust
stain in the future.  Still in the process of washing out the insides,
getting rid of bodyshop dust and residue.  Still have to degrease some
items in the doors, latches, locks, etc.  The doors also need some rust
proofing and I guess I will start running the wiring harness and
putting on a few mechanical items this weekend.  Generally the car looks
pretty incredible.  I can already tell this black beauty will be a high
maintenance kinda gal.

Richard
'60 Crown sedan
'60 LeBaron sedan