Re: IML: Oxygenated gas/ MPG

>From: "Eric" <virgil_97219@xxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: IML: Oxygenated Gasoline and MPG
>
>I've read here that oxygenated gasoline doesn't affect mileage. I've
noticed
>over the past 10 years of it being used here in Portland, Oregon, that come
>Fall, I start getting about 10% less MPG. Is it not that the ethenol burns
>faster which equates to more power but less efficiency? I may have the
>science there askew, but I can always depend on improved Spring MPG.

   In the winter, most gas stations use a different formulation of gas that
vaporises easier in cold temperatures. This tends to give lower gas mileage,
partly through increased evaporation.

  The oxygenated fuels with ethanol or MTBE shouldn't give lower mileage in
an older Imperial. The problem here is that modern cars generally have
oxygen sensors. When oxygenated fuels are burned, they're supposed to lean
out the mix for cleaner burning (by carrying oxygen into the combustion
chamber in the gas to add to the oxygen in the air). Unfortunately, the O2
sensor detects this, an makes the fuel mix richer to compensate - by adding
more fuel. Richer mix means poorer mileage. So these fuels might make our
old cars run cleaner, but just make new cars use more fuel. Plus, the stupid
MTBE is wrecking watersheds all over new england through leakage/spillage.
Sigh.

  -Kle.
  '69 Crown 4DHT