IML: New member Randy

Randy,

As a fellow Pennsylvanian, welcome to the list.  My own experience is with
the 69-71 "fuselage" Imperials but I love them all.

What you will learn is that the Budd disc brake system on 67-69 Imperials is
the Achilles Heel of those cars.  Especially in "wet" states.  Guys in the
SW USA don't seem to have the problems but we sure do.

The rotors were too thin to begin with.  This may be a function of the fact
that the calipers are "fixed" to the steering knuckle and too little space
was available for rotors.  Chrysler recommended against machining these
rotors when the cars were NEW; replacement was normal.  While an old rotor
may "machine" just fine, it will be too thin to absorb the heat generated
during a hard stop and maintain dimensional stability.  In other words, the
rotor may look just fine after machining but a hard stop or two will likely
cause it to warp and you will experience shudder and pedal pulsation during
braking.

We joke that these rotors are made of "unobtainium" but a serious search
will probably uncover some.  NOS rotors were going for about $400 each last
I heard.  A list member successfully modified Toyota Supra REAR brake rotors
to fit the Imperial hub but I haven't heard much about that lately.  It
seemed like a promising development though.

Calipers can be found much easier than rotors can.  I think that ever
Advance Auto Parts can get them for you and the price isn't too bad.  Having
your old caliper piston bores sleeved in stainless steel or brass is a
"lifetime fix" solution if you want to go that route.  Whitepost
Restorations in VA does this and so do several other companies.  It won't be
cheap.

Sounds like you are getting hosed on the brake pad price, frankly.  These
pads are not that hard to find and can be bought cheaper on ebay.  A list
member bought a few sets some time back and was selling them for about $30.
I bought a set just to have around in case I find a disc setup for my 66
Fury.  You never know...

I'm just glad that Chrysler switched to the sliding caliper single piston
brakes for my 70 LeBaron.

Pete in PA