Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 10:34 AM
Subject: Re: IML: 61 Imperial Transmission Saga

I havn't been following the story unitl now.  This is very obvious, but, did you check the trans fluid?  The car should be idling in neatral when you check the trans fluid.  I just know that the trans in my '60 LeBaron stops working when even small amounts of fluid are leaking out.  I constantly have to fill it up before going anywhere.  It is going in for new transmission seals next week.  My big leak is where the trans connects to the torque converter.  As for the cable, there should be a "dial" on the end of the cable., at the trans, that can be adjusted.  Check the manual online on the IMl if you don't have one.  Things don't usually just fall out of adjustment, like cables and puch buttons.  I would guess it is some kind of internal problem like a piece of dirt being dislodged or a seal gone bad.  Richard
'60 LeBaron sedan
'60 Crown sedan

John/Shirley Nimmo <SDARM2@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Imler's;

Well, here is the continuation of the 61 Imperial transmission saga as of late yesterday
afternoon.
I had to call a tow truck yesterday afternoon and they came and picked the car up
backwards on their lift with me in the car and then they backed up to my one car garage
and then tilted the bed of the tow truck down and slowly dumped the Imperial back
into the garage with me steering the car. We got it all back in the garage safely, so I
don't know what's going on with the transmission. I followed some of the suggestions
that several Imler's told me to do concerning checking the cable and the pushbuttons
but I didn't see any cable adjustment on the transmission, just the cable going into
the transmission that seemed fine and as for the pushbuttons, I took off the pushbutton
cover and inside of the housing all looked well inside of that. The transmission
seems to know if its in neutral or not. I tried to see if the car would now start in
Reverse or Drive since the transmission quit working, but it would only start in Neutral
so I know that part is good. Whenever you push the buttons on the dash, you don't
hear any clunk from the motor on the transmission that shifts it into drive or reverse.
I even let the car run about 30 minutes, seeing if it might shift into first or second
gear, but I didn't have any luck. Its almost like the motor that puts the car into different
gears isn't working. I even looked to see if this motor had a fuse on it that may have
blown but I didn't see any under the hood or under the dash.

If anybody has any other suggestions as what to do, I would greatly appreciate it
because I'm at a total loss as what to do now.

                                                        Sincerely,

                                                       John Nimmo

Yahoo! Messenger