IML: truck rollovers

> As far high bumpers in Pickups are concerned, they
> may get some advantages in
> fender benders, but overall, they (their drivers and
> passengers) have much more
> to lose than us.  These vehicles are far more
> dangerous than our Imperials
> because their center of gravity is so high.  That
> makes them very prone to roll
> overs, especially after a crush, and given their

Hey, you rode in my jacked-up 4x4 dodge, and we took
some pretty fast corners without the least feeling of
rolling.  In fact, the suspension on that truck is so
stiff, it corners better than my minivan.  I
discovered this when I was following Erich one night,
I in the adVenture and he in the dodge, and he was
blasting through some twisty roads and I was following
but the van was rolling considerably more.

Maybe modern trucks and SUVs are more prone to rolling
since they tune the suspensions more softly, for more
comfort as these newer "trucks" are more luxury
vehicles than work trucks like the dodge.  In fact, I
saw the dodge's suspension really flex for the first
time the other night, when we had it loaded up with
over 2,000 pounds worth of tools, parts, and crates of
stuff for work.

> cabs are so weak, they are in
> serious risk of getting crushed by their own car, it
> happens every day with

The cab structures are pretty strong- you even
admitted that when you saw the inside of the dodge,
which has very little padding so the metal structure
is evident.  There is an inner and outer skin, and the
pillars are very robust.  The problem is, if all that
weight (5000 pounds) comes down on such a small
surface as the roof of the cab, its likely to crush it
just by sheer psi.  An SUV would be better, with more
surface area for a similar weight.

--Mike Pittinaro

Beautiful Boxcar
American Grandeur and