From: henry ford
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2005 12:42 AM
Subject: Re: IML: "smoke" entering steering colum

I also had this happen, but I was lucky to find that it was a hot wire someone had ran under the dash way to close to the clutch pedal  , the wire had rubbed against the clutch pedal and wore away the wire jacket causing the wire to shortout and the smoke was frome the wire as it got hot enough to cook the jacket off of it. lucky me it didnt turn into a fire.
 check everything for the cause of the smoke, mostly wiring under the dash, with age most wiring I have seen, becomes brittle and can break or cause a short, also check the grounding of all electrical components , as sometimes if a component could be grounding itself against the stearing colmn in your car and could be causing an arc ( arc causes smoke). so check every thing possible even if it sounds far fetched, because with the worst case you could watch your car burn to the ground,  dont take that chance, make sure your car is safe from any electrical fires.

good luck.

Jason Wulf <jrwulf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Had it happen to me too, in an 88 Sedan Deville. It was the turn
signal cam, specifically the switch for the cornering lights. Pull
the wheel and check yours for some fry marks, I'd bet that's where the
problem is.

-Jason