RE: IML: "smoke" entering steering colum

RE: IML: "smoke" entering steering colum

Folks,

Not to disagree with anyone here but to add another possibility. If it smells engine-y rather than electrical I have another possibility. In a former life I had a '65 Riviera which exhibited the same symptom, along with what I thought was too much sound from the engine compartment.

It turned out to be complete disintegration of a foam seal at the bottom of the steering column tube, through which the column "core" itself passed. It was shaped like a 2-3" thick donut with the hole off-center. Can anyone with a manual check if there is such a part on the Imperial? (I'm brand new at this subject.)

Thanks and best regards,
Mark Morgan