Re: IML: Tires

I have driven my '60s Imperial's with radial tires ever since the early 1980's. I have NEVER experienced a "harsh" ride in any of the cars. I drove the same cars from the late 1960's and through all of the 1970's with bias ply tires. The only thing that changed by going to radials was that the cars drove BETTER. Bumps in the road were not felt as much with bias ply tires, but only when they were inflated around 25 pounds. I always ran my tires around 32 pounds, which is higher than recommended. Maybe that is why I felt bumps with bias ply tires about the same as with radials.

If you plan to drive your car, radials are great. The car will handle better, the tires will last longer, and you will get slightly better gas mileage. If you plan to show it, then you will be marked down for having the incorrect style of tires.

Frankly, I think that if radials were readily available in 1956, Chrysler would have installed them on their new line of 1957 cars in order to complete the handling package. If that had been the case, our cars would not only drive better with radial tires, but they would also be considered authentic and correct.

Bias ply tires severely compromise the agility of any car wearing them.

Paul W.