Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 6:57 AM
Subject: RE: IML: Hot Starting?? 1967 imperial

Welcome to my world. I've been going through this with my '82 for almost a year. The most likely culprits are a heat soaked starter and vapor lock. When you crank it over hot is the starter strong or does it seem a little weak? If the car is cranking hard it is most likely *not* the starter. Vapor lock is when the fuel in the lines turns to vapor and cannot be pumped. Try pouring a little fuel into the carb-does the car start right up on that gas? Check your fuel lines, a tiny leak can make this much more likely to happen.

My understanding is that the ballast resistor is bypassed during starting so I doubt that is a likely culprit. The traditional sign of a failed ballast resistor is a car that starts and dies I soon as you release the key to the run position.

Rob