Re: IML: engine break in

Use straight weight non detergent 30 wt oil for break in and for the sake of your engine, dont let it idle below 1500 or so for the first few minutes. If it gets a little bit hot, wont idle very well , runs rough ........thats all ok as long as it has oil pressure. When it first fires up, check the oil pressure and if its good, keep the engine running .

Id recommend installing a mechanical gauge for those first critical minutes of break in. I would also highly recommend doing the engine priming thing that was posted about prior to first firing it off, pulling the spark plugs if they are installed and priming the engine while cranking it.

The reason you want the dinosaur oil is to let the rings and cylinder walls break in with respect to each other, the reason you dont want to let the engine run slow is to let the cam and lifters break in. Slow running at that point will definetly wear the cam lobes and lifter faces, so dont let it idle slowly at first.

As far as synthetic oil causing a bearing to spin.....thats a new one to me. The bearings are held in place by a phenomenon called crush where the bearing shells are a fraction of a thousandth of an inch larger than the bore they are installed in which lends a sort of preload on the bearing. The torque of the bolts that hold the cap in place keep the cap where its sposed to be, but its the crush that holds the bearing. If synthetic oil was all it took to make a bearing spin, versus dinosaur oil, it would spin anyway.

Good luck

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe