Re: IML: Breaking in a rebuild

>From: Charles Hansen <hansencw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: IML: Breaking in a Rebuilt 413 - '59 Imperial
>
>The restoration of my 1959 Imperial is nearly complete and soon it will
>be time to start up the rebuilt 413. I was planning to use Mobil One
>synthetic oil, but the guys at NAPA warned me not to use synthetic oil
>at first but to break the engine in with normal oil. They said I might
>spin a bearing with synthetic oil.

   One of my mechanics says regular oil only for the first couple thousand
miles, then go to synthetic.. The other says that's probably too
conservative, but can't hurt either. I figure conservatism = good for a new
engine.

>Also what would be a good approach for breaking in the engine
>regardless of what oil I use? If I drive it home from the restoration
>shop it will be a trip of about 500 miles.

   I'm assuming the shop will have done the dyno work, and cam setting and
so forth.

   What I do with a new rebuild (and try to get my friends to do with new
cars), is change the oil at 500 miles, 1500 miles, 3000 miles, 5000 miles,
7500 miles, and then every 3000. During at least the first 500-1000 miles,
try to keep varying your speed (i.e. don't just cruise at a specific speed),
avoid hard accelleration, and keep the car below 60mph or so.
   This has worked for me.

        -Kle.
        '69 Crown 4DHT