From: "Kenyon Wills" <imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 2:58 PM
Subject: IML: Airflow knock-off?

The Europeans have been very influential on american
car design, especially in the prewar years, when many
affectations from the continent were put onto domestic
cars.

I was floating around randomly on ebay and came across
a 1938 Peugeot, which would have been made about 4
years (long enough for the influence to be copied)
after Chrysler introduced the Airflow in 1934.

Check out ebay item number  4558648065

and then open a second window and check out a 1934
Airflow here:

http://imperialclub.com/Yr/1934/34AirflowIntro/Page03-04-reg.jpg

I doubt that's a coincidence that the grille, rear
skits, cowl, and curves seem so similar, although I'll
give the french credit on the under-grille lights for
coolness.

Despite the Airflow almost dragging the company under
(it was a sales disaster), it was a heck of a design,
and very modern when you compare it to its
contemporaries.  Too bad the public wasn't ready for
it....

Kenyon Wills