IML: REAL WOOD INSERTS - '67 door handle

IML: REAL WOOD INSERTS - '67 door handle

With a recent string on 1967 door handle inserts I started digging into what we might do to refurbish ours and "BINGO" I may have hit a home run.... I found a local wood specialty business that sold wood veneers .030 thick with pressure sensitive backing. I had my doubts because of the severe bend, over 90 deg., and the thickness Vs the original vinyl. What I ended up using was oak, that I stained darker to match my interior trim (oak has nice straight grain for bending). Both of my concerns did not pan out:

1) By oiling the veneer to make it more supple (I used boiled linseed oil thinned with turpentine) it bent around the stainless insert without a problem.

2) I feathered the edges with 220 grit emory cloth and it blended nicely with the handle!

I sealed it with satin polyurethane varnish and they look great (message me off line and I will send you a pic of the finished product). Also if there is sufficient interest, I may put together a kit, including instructions.

Don Dickinson
Prospect, KY

1955 Imperial Newport, Canyon Tan and Desert Sand
1967 Imperial Custom Convertible, Ivory and Burgundy