IML: drain gas tank

my 53 imp. has a plug of some kind underneath the gas tank towards the front right side. i would like to drain the tank and i think this is where it can be done. the plug has a torx type hole and what i do not know is how this plug is removed and replaced. i prefer not to experiment with this as these tanks are not easy to find. perhaps this is not a drain plug at all and dropping the tank is the only way to drain it. i have dropped one before and one of the straps bvroke and the line into the tank stripped the threads when i removed it. both of those problems took considerable time and energy to rectify and for anyone who has tried to replace the tank strap you know they cannot be found, only fabricated. anyway, can the tank be drained through the plug if it can be removed? dennis