Re: Strategies for parts stores; was Re: IML: EFI plugs

Re: Strategies for parts stores; was Re: IML: EFI plugs

Here's a story I'd like to relate regarding looking up your own numbers and
asking the parts guy for stuff by part number.

A friend of mine walked into his local auto parts store and asked for spark
plugs for Make and Model of his car.  The parts drone fumbled through the
computer and then shortly after retrieved the spark plugs off the shelf.
Some time later, on an extended road trip, the engine in the car failed.  It
was determined that the failure was caused by an incorrect spark plug
burning a hole in the piston.  With this information in hand, my friend went
back to the parts store and requested compensation.  After looking at the
facts, it was determined that the catalog listing for his car was incorrect
and he was indeed sold the wrong plugs.  The parts store made good and
bought the man a new engine.

I'm not saying that every parts store would buy a new engine or that we
shouldn't know what we need when we go in there.  I just think it is
noteworthy that there is a liability issue whereby if you ask for part A,
and you get part A and it is not the correct part, you are on your own.  If
you ask for a frazzits for a 72 Convoy and the man hands you the wrong part
and that part does damage to your vehicle, you MIGHT have a leg to stand on.

I've run into this with mechanics.  I've gone in there with a rattle or a
squeek and told the mechanic to tighten up the gudgen pin (because that's
what I thought was the problem) only to have the mechanic do just what I
asked of him and yet leave the rattle or squeek remaining.  I try not to
diagnose for the mechanic now.  I simply say, "It rattles".  That means,
"Make the rattle go away." so that is what the mechanic is charged with
doing...by any reasonable means necessary.

Of course, there are exceptions to every rule and there are times when you
want to tell the mechanic EXACTLY what you want done or tell the parts drone
EXACTLY what part you want.  I'm just pointing out that sometimes, we can be
too helpful, to our own detrement.