RE: IML: Another 1961 Question on the Fly(wheel)

RE: IML: Another 1961 Question on the Fly(wheel)

Steve (and all):

Door #1 holds a description of the symptom almost to a T (eeth)!   There are times when the starter will whir (I had to look that one up since I didn't believe it was an actual word), then clunk.  There are times when it will just whir.  There are times when it will whir for a second or two, then engage the motor, then whir.  Then there are times when it will engage the motor right off.

So, I need to look at the solenoid.  That is the humback thing on the starter I believe.  Do I need to remove the entire starter?

Has anyone seen this topic in the archives, 'cause I surely couldn't find it?

Thanks for the tip!

--
Joe
Allen, Texas

I can turn the ignition key several times and eventually it will "catch" but it is getting longer and longer between starts.
One of two things come to mind:
#1  The starter has a solenoid that pops the gear out to engage the teeth on the flywheel and pops it back in to release the starter once you release the key.  This mechanism can get sticky.  It is sticky on my '59 and every once in a while you get a "clunk   whirrrrrrrr" when you try to start it.  The solenoid can be replaced and the mechanism cleaned and regreased.    This seems like your most likely culprit

#2  You could have a broken tooth on the ring gear of the fly wheel.  If this happens you get a dead spot and have to bump the engine a little bit to get to a good tooth.  Seems unlikely that this is the case since you try a few times and the starter engages.

           Steve B.